General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on inside ankle on long runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-05 2:28 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Pain on inside ankle on long runs

Hi everyone!

I've noticed on my long runs (8+ miles) that the inside of my left ankle gets REALLY sore. When I ran the PF Chang's 1/2 mary in January, it was really sore for days after. When I press on the muscle above and around the ankle bone it hurts, and it hurts to walk on for several days. I use the BT equipment tracker, and my running shoes have 269 miles on them, so they've still got a bit of life. The right ankle feels fine and has never been sore.

I'm wondering if that foot needs some sort of insert or orthotics in that shoe? Where do I go to get this checked out? Can a running store help me, or do I need to go to the doctor?

I have IMAZ coming up on April 15th, so if I have to change something, I'm hoping this is enough time.

Any advice is appreciated!

2007-03-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #712136

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Pain on inside ankle on long runs

My inside ankle joints are always the most sore thing on me after a long run.

I wish I knew why!

I recently had an MRI of my ankle though which showed a weird bone on bone anomaly (nothing I can do about it...the way I was born) and I asked the doc if that is what could cause my long distance ankle pain and he said maybe.

FWIW, I already wear orthotics, so I doubt that will help you.  If you find a solution, let me know.  I know mine happens whether I wear new shoes or old shoes, so...I don't think that's it either.

Sorry that wasn't more helpful except to tell you that you are not alone!  

2007-03-07 3:49 PM
in reply to: #712136

User image

Baytown, TX
Subject: RE: Pain on inside ankle on long runs
Sorry folks but I'm probably the gloom and doom for this post. I had pain on the inside of my ankleto the point that I would have problems getting my shoe on. Specifically located from the inside ankle bone (round) toward the back and up into my calf. It ached and was tender to the touch. I went to my foot doc and he immediately diagnosed me withposterior tibial tendonitis. He said that it is a relatively common overtraining injury for runners.

Although I am not a long distance runner, I pushed myself way too hard training for my first sprint last summer. My symptoms did not begin to give me problems until I had backed off of my training in the fall. After several weeks of conservative treatment, the doc realized that I had a lengthwise tear in the tendon.

I could go into my story but suffice it to say that I have had surgery and am sitting here with my foot elevated and in a cast. My tear was 2cm. I have since fallen crutching after the surgery and ended up with a broken bone and second surgery which included hardware. But that's because I was a klutz.

My recommendations? RICE for sure and anti-inflammatories. lots and lots of rest. I know that sucks for runners with goals attached to dates. My doc's first recommendation was immobilization in a boot for 4-6 weeks. Yes, orthotics are typically recommended as well. I would also go to a sports-med podiatrist or ortho specializing in feet and ankles just to have them look at it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on inside ankle on long runs Rss Feed