General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just started training Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-24 9:41 PM

User image

Manchester, CT
Subject: Just started training
Hello all! I just finished my 4th year as a track athlete at UConn and decided I didn't want to run again. So I bought a bike. I was dumb and bought a hybrid bike, thinking i would use it on trails. Only after this did i decide i want to start doing triathlons, and I've been really excited about it for the last few weeks.
I assume that its ok for me to just get in shape using the hybrid and switch over to a racing or road bike after I can afford it before next spring. Anyone have any pointers?
By the way, I wish I had found a site like this years ago to log my running. I was trying to make my own log with MS Excel, so I definitely appreciate the work you guys put in. It's incredible.
I hope to start doing triathlons by next spring, and I excpect to win some, so everyone watch out!
~ERIC

2004-08-24 11:09 PM
in reply to: #52673

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Just started training

welcome...well, u can surely give your track backgound to me?  no?  ok.

good luck training.

2004-08-24 11:37 PM

User image

Manchester, CT
No problem-- been running since 9th grade. High school times: 4:27 mile, 9:22 deuce
Made dramatic improvments in college at UConn:
XC 8k: 25:10
10K: 31-ish
Track 4:10 mile
8:20 3k
14:34 5k
The last 2 years I had't improved, and I always felt like crap. That made so it wasn't fun anymore, so I guess I mentally burned out. I havn't run since May, but I think that when I spread my workload out, I will get even better at running. Do people ever find that to be true?
What kind of mileage to serious triathletes run? I peaked at about 80miles/week during cross.
I was on a swim team from ages 6 to about 12 and then a lifeguard for a few years. I havn't swam much at all recently, but 3 years ago I completed a 5k open water swim (I use the term "completed" loosely, but I'm still alive). Swimming will be the toughest for me at first, but by spring I should be fine. I absolutely love racing and I'm really excited to get into this sport. I think that I have the ability to get really good at it as long as I put the work in.
How's that for a life story?

~ERIC
2004-08-24 11:42 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Well, hopefully you can make up for the lack of running speed with your swim and bike.

Just kidding, welcome to the site. Be careful, though. This sport is very addictive.
2004-08-26 8:54 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-spot!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just started training Rss Feed