General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavy legs during run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-08 4:18 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Heavy legs during run
So lately, my legs have felt very heavy and sluggish during my runs.

Not sure why....Here in Arizona, the temps are up to about 85 and was wondering if heat was a factor, that is dehydration. Yet the sluggishness starts at the beginning.

I'm still stretching like I have in past and haven't changed the diet?

Usually around mile 4, that heavy feeling goes away and by mile 6 it's gone.

Maybe it's just me being a wuss.

2007-03-08 4:34 PM
in reply to: #716581

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Heavy legs during run

Daugela - 2007-03-08 5:18 PM So lately, my legs have felt very heavy and sluggish during my runs. Not sure why....Here in Arizona, the temps are up to about 85 and was wondering if heat was a factor, that is dehydration. Yet the sluggishness starts at the beginning. I'm still stretching like I have in past and haven't changed the diet? Usually around mile 4, that heavy feeling goes away and by mile 6 it's gone. Maybe it's just me being a wuss.

Congrats on the first training log today!

So how's your post workout recovery & nutrition?  I find that it makes a difference in how I recover and can train the next day or two.  How about electrolyte supplementing? I know here in FL when it starts to get warmer it changes from the winter training.

2007-03-08 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
thanks for the reply regarding the training log. Because it was hot today, I slowed my run pace down to accomodate my HRT. Wasn't sure if I should run faster with a higher heart rate due to higher temps.
2007-03-08 5:50 PM
in reply to: #716628

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Daugela - 2007-03-08 5:44 PM thanks for the reply regarding the training log. Because it was hot today, I slowed my run pace down to accomodate my HRT. Wasn't sure if I should run faster with a higher heart rate due to higher temps.

Ah trapped by the HR reading before acclimation!  Learn the RPE vs HR relationship, it will help with the pace vs feel as the weather gets warmer.

A wise man once told me!
"Use the scale Ron copied - that's what I use as a guideline. Learn to use RPE and HR together. Some days (especially) hot ones, the HR won't mean much and you'll have to rely on RPE.
Mike"

RPE Zone HR ZoneDescription
0 Complete Rest
1Z1Very Weak: light walking
2 Z1Weak: strong walk, very slow run, easy conversation pace
3 Z1Moderate: easy run, begin to sweat, but can hold conversation throughout
4 Z1 UpperSomewhat Strong: still easy, sweating a bit more
5 Z2Strong, Extensive endurance
6 Z2 UpperStrong, Extensive endurance breathing becoming labored
7 Z3Very Strong: Intensive endurance/muscular endurance, breathing very labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.
8 Z4Hard: Workouts that are ‘hard’ session during the week. 
9 Z5aVery Hard: May not be able hold effort for long, or 5k race pace for MOP to FOP racers
10 Z5+Extremely Hard: Anaerobic endurance / power 

2007-03-08 6:40 PM
in reply to: #716693

User image

Regular
Very funny, but true....

Unfortunately, I didn't run from my RPE. Next time. I hate to think this was a wasted run, but one has to question the validity of HR training.

I mean if your HR adjusts to high temp, like today, then it also adjusts to mood, drugs, injuries and everything else. So how accurate is it? I'm sure this is a debate by itself. I think it's a good gauge and once you understand the relationship with HR and RPE, you're goin to soar.
2007-03-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: #716722

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Not a wasted run, look what was learned

I limit wearing my HR these days just so I don't get trapped by it.  For recovery run & rides, yes it is good to use to prevent yourself from over doing it.  When I'm acclimated to the summer weather it's not all that much different than the winter months other than having to compensate for drift due to the heat.  Hydration levels more than anything will affect the HR, I always run with fluids (fuel belt).  Do the LT tests and you really cannot go to wrong using the HRM & RPE for training.

You know, from running real slow the other day, you probably had more vertical motion in your running form than usual, this will beat up the legs.  when you need to run slower, make sure you try and keep the stride count up where it should be but shorten the stride length.  This will limit your up & down motion which is wasted energy.

2007-03-09 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Something else to consider: have you taken a recovery week lately? It might be your body saying "you've broken me down enough, I need a chance to build back up now"
2007-03-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: #717186

User image

Regular
When running slower, I try to keep my cadence at 180. Regardless of speed, it's 180.

I do keep a fuel belt but only ran with 16 oz for the run. Figured I didn't need any more, maybe I should add some more fluid containers. I use the Amphipod. What do you think?

This week is still middle base week. My recovery is in 2 weeks. I've got a my long bike ride to do. Take care.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavy legs during run Rss Feed