Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Rhythm Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-25 11:31 AM

Subject: Rhythm
Hi everyone!
I’ve a doubt or a problem.
I run 5 kms, 10 kms, 15kms, etc with the same speed. Neither I can’t go faster, nor slower. It’s like I’ve a speed fixed, which I can’t change.
It’s so strange, I know it, but it’s true. I’m young, yet, ok, but I’m becoming worried.
I can increase my average speed after a few trainings, but it’s always the same from 2, 3 kms up.
Example:
Distance A:
Partial 1: 2 min
Partial 2: 4 min
Distance 2xA:
Partial 1: 2 min
Partial 2: 4 min
Partial 3: 6 min
Partial 4: 8 min
So, it changes the distance, but the rhythm is unchanging.
After some days:
Distance A:
Partial 1: 1:30 min
Partial 2: 3 min
Distance 2xA:
Partial 1: 1:30 min
Partial 2: 3 min
Partial 3: 4:30 min
Partial 4: 6 min
Do you get the point?

Was I mad to be so… "stable"?

2004-09-02 1:13 AM
in reply to: #52918

Regular
Milwaukee
Subject: RE: Rhythm
OK, triatleta (mexicano?) how are you measuring your distances? Is it a circuit, track, street, double/triple/quadruple lap? If distances are correct your (Ipotalamo) has already done the homework for you. Now your goal should be to do the Ironman. With a speed of a 5k you are going to score an excellent time.

see ya, man!
2004-09-02 5:26 AM

LOL.
Obviously, I’m talking about a pace at 75% to 85% of my capacity. The problem is that I can’t run at a superior level for a long time, but at that level I run the 5K, the 10K, etc.
I think I’ve to work on strength.
But forget it. It’s a problem I had ever. I spend as less effort as I can (I’m afraid of having a break and I think that after I can catch them at my pace) and I reach the final thinking, “I’m not much tired”.
2004-09-02 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
I had, and still have to a certain degree, the same issue. My 5k pace was the same as my 10k and 12.5k pace. I usually felt like I couldn't go any faster or slower for that purpose. I didn't fade out; I just couldn't pick it up. The problem was that my racing resembled my training.

I don't have a running background, so I sought some help from some friends. I was told to start more slowly than I thought I should and to pick up the pace gradually. I did that and lowerd my 5k times by nearly 2 mins. and my 10k by over 3 mins. and finished both strong. I also worked on intervals, and went really slow when I had to and as fast as I could when required. Both really worked for my overall pace.

Hope this helps.
2004-09-03 1:58 PM
in reply to: #56713

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Triatleta - 2004-09-02 3:26 AM

LOL.
Obviously, I’m talking about a pace at 75% to 85% of my capacity. The problem is that I can’t run at a superior level for a long time, but at that level I run the 5K, the 10K, etc.
I think I’ve to work on strength.
But forget it. It’s a problem I had ever. I spend as less effort as I can (I’m afraid of having a break and I think that after I can catch them at my pace) and I reach the final thinking, “I’m not much tired”.

What's your definition of a superior level? I'd be ecstatic if my 10K pace matched my 5K pace, but I can't hold that pace that long (yet!). However, dragoman has a point, if you train at a consistent pace, you'll race at the same pace. Mix up your running, add some hills, some interval work, run a different route. Something to make the workload change, and you'll be able to pick up your speeds. Once you start noticing the increase, do one easy run per week at your old (current) pace, and you'll be able to pick up the pace, or back off, when necessary.
2004-09-03 3:26 PM

Thanks for all the advices.
Actually, I'm running emphasis on easy - endurance training. I made a training plan with technical help and it "touch" what you said. After Endurance training, I introduce hills, fartflek (just like on swimming) and series.
Thanks again

2004-09-03 8:10 PM
in reply to: #57523

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Triatleta - 2004-09-03 1:26 PM

Thanks for all the advices.
Actually, I'm running emphasis on easy - endurance training. I made a training plan with technical help and it "touch" what you said. After Endurance training, I introduce hills, fartflek (just like on swimming) and series.
Thanks again

How long have you been running? How far do you typically run? You should build a nice base before really getting into any speed/strength work, but even if you're only running 1 or 2 miles, you could always try to sprint out the last 100-200 meters or so. As you become more accustomed to it, and your base increases, you can lengthen those sprints, or mix them up into fartleks.
2004-09-04 2:48 PM

Course joeinco.
As I sad I had made a run program with technical help and I am not properly a beginner. I was accustomed to run usually and it turns my job easier. You help me to find the problem and I am thanked. It was my precipitation: I try to find answers before training well.
Thanks again.
2004-09-05 12:17 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I know that I can be very impatient: I plane everything out, I try very hard, and yet the goals are not reached as quickly as I would hope. I'm still learning so much about running, swimming, and triathlons in general, and it helps to ask questions and read others questions here. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure that with the motivation that you have, you'll soon be running faster than I do!

Take care and good luck!
New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Rhythm Rss Feed