General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Weight Training Mid-Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-09 9:22 PM

New user

Boston, Massachusetts
Subject: Starting Weight Training Mid-Season
I am a fairly novice triathlete (I did a few sprints a couple of years ago, but now am training more seriously). This year I initially wasn't planning to weight train. I wasn't going to join a gym and felt I had too little time. I ended up joining a gym and would like to reap some of the injury prevention benefits. However, I am in week 3 of Base 1 and haven't weight trained in several years. My first race will be during the first weekend in June. According to what I have read, my weight training should follow the periodization of the rest of my training. Is it too late to start now? Is there a best way to incorporate it now?

2007-03-09 10:01 PM
in reply to: #718117

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Starting Weight Training Mid-Season
No sound basis, just an opinion, but I think you could/would benefit from it.  Just start where you are at - do 3-4 weeks of AA (Anatomical Adaption) 20-25 reps of ridiculously low weights and then progress as you see fit (I modified a schedule/program from the book Going Long - not that I stuck to it very well - I struggle getting myself into a weight routine long term)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Weight Training Mid-Season Rss Feed