General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » This is going to be fun Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-25 5:57 PM

Alabama
Subject: This is going to be fun
howdy y'all! I just thought I would introduce myself. I am down here in Alabama (and would love a training buddy so if any of you are close...). I am a veteran martial artist who had to quit training due to health 'issues.' After slumping around in grief for a while, I have decided that this is the next incarnation of little ole rockheaded me. I can't wait! Before my martial arts days, I had done a fair amount of running on what are now some seriously tempermental hips. Running and anything too stressful on the joints is now out of the question (no matter how defiant I am). That will make triathlon training a little lopsided, but who cares, I'll just have to be that much better at the other two! I can do my silly little hypermobile walk for the run part. The catch is that I have not done much biking or swimming either. I can get from point A to B, but not necessarily in a stylish manner. Currently I have a mountain bike with street tires. I know I will need to buy another. Does anyone have any advice about buying a more economical road bike first or should I try to scrape the funds for a tri bike? Thanks! By the way, this is an incredible site!

2004-08-25 6:02 PM
in reply to: #53217

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: This is going to be fun

Welcome!  Doing tri's will be good for you - at least a balance of workouts and limited time with the impact of walking/running!  Good for you!

Get a road bike.  The road bike will be more versatile.  A few years from now, if you want to go a little faster, then get the road bike.  The tri bikes are stiff. 

Good luck

2004-08-26 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Welcome to the site.  I think most of us are wobbling near the end of our respective races .   Good luck

Gary

2004-08-26 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome hobwobble..how does an elliptical machine treat your hips?  if actual running training is pretty much out fo the question, u may be able to supplement that in for several days a week and have one 'real' run/walk (short session) once a week.  that way u may be able to do a decent walk/run routine race day and only suffer for a little bit...of course i have never tried this but heard it has worked for others having hip/leg problems where routine running is a problem.

good luck anyway.

2004-08-26 8:44 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-spot!
2004-08-27 3:53 PM

Alabama
Thank you everyone! Wow you guys are a supportive bunch, I LOVE IT!! Ron, that is an EXCELLENT idea about the elliptical trainer. I don't know why I didn't think of it, but I sure didn't. The elliptical trainer works just fine (although the scenery isn't as nice as watching the sunrise over downtown Birmingham, but there is still some good scenery in my local gym ;-D).

Have a great weekend everyone!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » This is going to be fun Rss Feed