UBC Triathlon Club
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 42m 11s
Overall Rank = 127/165
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/25
Pre-race routine:

Because it was an afternoon race (for my heat), I got up at the usual 9:00am'ish and had a bowl of granola in yogurt. Got everything together and cursed the crappy weather (we were under rain AND wind warnings today!). Stuffed it all in the car and made the drive to the school. My parkade at the uni is a bit far from the race centre, so had to trek through the rain over to the transition to check in. Once all was set up, got changed and went and watched the heat before mine hit the pool.
Event warmup:

None. Just tried not to freeze.
Swim
  • 27m 46s
  • 800 meters
  • 03m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was pretty happy with the way this went overall. I was happy for a pool swim because it gave me a good opportunity to stop to catch my breath for 10-15 seconds at the end of most of the lengths. I made reasonably good times and had what felt like a pretty good swim overall.

Time includes post swim change into bike clothes, so time is probably closer to 20 - 22 for the actual swim.
What would you do differently?:

Train more so that I could do it without stopping. Also work on flip turns to make things faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was pouring and our "wetbags" (that were supposed to be dry) were left in the rain, so the clothes we were putting on were wet. Made for a bit slower time than I would have liked because I had a hard time pulling the wet stuff on. I also just don't change super quickly. Also had a hard time clipping in.

There were no T1 timing mats, so there's no official time for it, but I'd estimate 5 - 7 minutes, which I recognize is high.

Keep my stuff dry and learn to put on clothes more quickly. Get new pedals that are better for clipping in on the road bike.
Bike
  • 48m 6s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.95 km/hr
Comments:

Wasn't perfectly used to the bike and I'm not 100% sure that the riding position is extraordinarily comfortable. It's pretty fast, but I totally need to spend a lot more time on it. I was pretty tired by the end. Chain came off during a rough gear change (my fault). That wasted a good minute or so. I also find it hard to drink while I'm riding...not sure how to fix that.

Once again no timing mats for the transitions, so there's a bit of front end time added into there, as well as pre-run T2 time.

I need to be more comfortable with pedals. Might mean a move to proper road pedals instead of M505s. Other than that, was alright, given the conditions.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Managed to get to my spot at the rack reasonably quickly, although didn't hop off the bike in a "run"...not quite ready for that with these shoes yet. Threw the shoes on just using the shoehorn and took off.

No timing mats, but I think it was reasonably quick.

Learn to work with the shoes on the bike better.
Run
  • 26m 21s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 16s  min/km
Comments:

Was a little shaky off the bike (of course) but kept going strong until about 2 or 3 km...took a break for a bit of a walk at the aid station, then again about a km after that and then again at the top of the steeper hill and one last time just before the finish before gunning it to the end.

Considering how much I walked, I actually made quite good time...wow.

Train longer distances and do more bricks to better be able to handle the pace of the run after the first two legs of a tri.
Post race
Warm down:

There was no food left at the finish line aside from a bunch of severely browned sliced apples, so I just drank some water and went to take a shower. When I got to the changeroom, a guy in there commented on how good the hot tub felt, so I decided to go hop in. Kinda left my gf out in the lobby bored waiting for me while I tubbed for a few minutes, but that's okay, she was busy watching the racing. All I can say is that if you have the opportunity to hot tub right after you race...do it! Best.warm-down.ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Failure to train adequately and REALLY adverse weather conditions.

Event comments:

The weather may have been REALLY crappy, but it was still a lot of fun and may have even given me a bit of extra motivation. There's just something about saying "F you" to the weather that feels good.

I want to test out different pedals to see if they're any better and I want to keep working on my swimming. Overall, more brick training will be in the works, but I'm pretty happy with how today went regardless. F you, weather!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:46 | 800 meters | 03m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 144/165
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi tri shorts.
Course: 16 laps of the uni's 50m pool. 8 lanes were set up. Started on one end and went to and fro in the same lane and then moved to the next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:06 | 20 kms | 24.95 km/hr
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/165
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back double loop of mostly light downhill (out) and uphill (back). Strong wind in our faces on the way down and at our backs on the way out.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:21 | 05 kms | 05m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/165
Performance: Average
Course: Loop down the road, then back up the road. Good mix of flat'ish and light hills with one relatively short steeper hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-12 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Subject: UBC Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-03-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #719962

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: UBC Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Sounds like your race was epic like mine. Wasn't that some weather. The UBC tri is not about how fast you can go it's about surviving the conditions. Nice work. I know you were a bit nervous about this tri, but you pulled off a fantastic result.
2007-03-12 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Nice work.
Tubbing is the best.
You pulled it off. Great Job!
2007-03-12 4:08 PM
in reply to: #720373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I seriously just stood at the window and shook my fist at the sky.

I guess this is the weather's way of saying "F you!" back.

Thanks guys! Time to figure out what to do next!

Edited by Deputy 2007-03-12 4:09 PM
2007-03-12 4:24 PM

Pro
AZ

Hey you!! Look at you go!!  Good for you!!!!  Freaken weather!  But way to stick it out!

You need to get an aero bottle....that's the easiest way to drink!!!

2007-03-12 5:14 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2007-03-12 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Thanks T! Thanks L!

T - an aero bottle is somewhere on the horizon when I decide what to do for aero bars and what not...alternatively, I could just throw my camelbak on...it works great!

L - Pool does look empty around me because most people were already done! Hah! There were several people still behind me and a couple ahead of me, but no one visible in the pic. Kinda makes it look like I'm just practicing on my own, though...
2007-03-13 12:41 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Gotta love the weather hey? Nice race, great idea on the hot tub, I never thought of that...
2007-03-13 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Sounds like it was a good test to see where you're at. Were you on your new bike?
Good job on sticking it out and finishing in tough conditions!
2007-03-15 2:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey great job with the race! I totally feel ya with the gross weather. It can only get better (and warmer!) from here on in! Keep it up

Megz
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UBC Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed