General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone in Lexington, KY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-02-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: #688183

User image

Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Anyone in Lexington, KY
I can swim there because I am faculty. But if you are not affiliated with the university you can join Masters Swiming and have access to the pool AND a coach.
I am a member of Masters, and Team in Training, and UK Faculty so I have multiple access points!

Masters costs $30 to join the national team which allows you to swim with any club. And then there is a monthly fee to Lancaster but I don't know what it is for non-UK people. It is really nice to have a coach to help you with your stroke, scheduled times when you know other people are going to be swimming, and workouts to follow so that you don't just swim freestyle until you exhaust yourself.

And just because there is a coach and workouts doesn't mean this is a regimented practice. Masters is just a way for people to swim with others. There are competitive swimmers on masters and there are also competitions to enter if that is something you are interested in but the majority of us are just people who like to swim.

Cheers,
Ruth

2007-02-12 8:00 PM
in reply to: #53263

User image

Kentucky
Subject: I was in Versailles...now near Bowling Green/Glasgow
and I'll be racing there again this year, I think, at the Falling Springs tri. That was a fun race. However, I've moved to work down in the Bowling Green area. Still have a house in Versailles, though! (Not because I'm super-rich--just because I haven't been able to sell it.) Anyway, I may be up there for some training rides this summer if the house doesn't sell. I'm more familiar with the roads in that area!
2007-03-07 11:48 AM
in reply to: #64402

Versailles, KY
I'm living in Versailles and have just signed up on this website. I have begun training for the Akron Women's Only Triathlon. I would enjoy meeting you at the Arboretum for training and pointers since I am a bit overwhelmed!
2007-03-07 11:09 PM
in reply to: #714798

User image

Lexington, KY
I'm heading out of town for a bit but would love to meet you at the Arb. We run on Saturdays at either 2 or 2:30pm. We being, my Team In Training group. We are training to run the Philly Tri in June.
Would be happy to have you with us.
Feel free to email me at
[email protected]
Cheers,
Ruth
2007-07-04 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
Hey all,

I too have just moved back to Lexington. I had lived here for 10 years, but moved away for the past 2 years. Of course, I didn't do multisport when I was here before, but when I moved to Georgia I picked it up. This will be my 2nd season Tri-ing. I have done 5 tris so far in the past 2 years, including 1 Oly and the Alcon Tri For Sight last year (took 2nd for AG, but that was a fluke).

I am ALWAYS interested to meet people similarly afflicted with the tri-bug. I'm no gunner (this IS just a hobby, after all), and would love to meet up with others in the area, get tips, find races, etc.

Anyone with contacts for Tri clubs around here?

Thanks!
2007-07-05 5:33 AM
in reply to: #872099

User image

Lexington, KY
Hey,
Welcome back to Lexington...we oddly have a huge triathlon group for such a small town, one reason is Susan Bradley-Cox who is a local coach for TNT and helps out with the Bluegrass Tri Club. She is 70 and won worlds last year in Switerzerland!
Anyway, there is the Tri Club, there is the Bluegrass cycle club and there is the Master's Swim team (also coched by Susan)
The president of the Tri Club is Beth Atnip and if you e-mail me directly at [email protected] I will give you her contact info...
Cheers,
Ruth

2008-02-10 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I am in Columbus Ohio but have family in the Lexington Area. I am looking for a good Sprint distace race to do in the area. Can anybody let me in on some good races in your area. Thanks
2009-10-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #669239

Hey you'll! I am just trying to into a good training program and meet some other people who are doing triathlons to have the camaraderie and insight. At what point would it be wise for me to meet up with you'll to do training and such? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the minimumI should be able to do before meeting up with any type of group so I dont' embarrass me or slow any body down. Thanks for any insight you can give me on this crazy quest of mine! Have a great day guys and gals!

Tim O'Nan 
2009-10-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2436239

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

timonan7 - 2009-10-01 9:57 AM Hey you'll! I am just trying to into a good training program and meet some other people who are doing triathlons to have the camaraderie and insight. At what point would it be wise for me to meet up with you'll to do training and such? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the minimumI should be able to do before meeting up with any type of group so I dont' embarrass me or slow any body down. Thanks for any insight you can give me on this crazy quest of mine! Have a great day guys and gals!

Tim O'Nan 

My suggestion is to not wait until you think you're "ready".  There will always be someone faster than you, but the great thing is that their speed can motivate you like few other things. 

If you're ever in Etown, let me know and we can go for a run or a ride. (I'm no speed demon in either).

2009-10-03 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2436239

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
timonan7 - 2009-10-01 9:57 AM Hey you'll! I am just trying to into a good training program and meet some other people who are doing triathlons to have the camaraderie and insight. At what point would it be wise for me to meet up with you'll to do training and such? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the minimumI should be able to do before meeting up with any type of group so I dont' embarrass me or slow any body down. Thanks for any insight you can give me on this crazy quest of mine! Have a great day guys and gals!

Tim O'Nan 

Hey Tim,   I live in Lexington.  Due to scheduling issues, I do most of my training on my own.  But, based on the few times I've gone out to group training sessions, there is usually a good mix of ability levels at the group s/b/r sessions.  I think your best bet is just to show up and give it a shot to see how you like it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone in Lexington, KY Rss Feed  

of 2