General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raleigh Area Bike Shops Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-12 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Raleigh Area Bike Shops

I just took my bike in for my "30 day" service to tighten everything up and they told me it would be ready NEXT Wednesday. I was there Saturday and had I dropped it off then it would have been ready this Wednesday, but I had a friend coming in from Wilmington for a long ride. My question is: Did I pick the wrong bike shop? I don't want to name them because they might just be trying to under promise and over deliver.

I try to be loyal, I have bought everything there so far, even though it is 30 minutes away and I could have easily gotten some things cheaper elsewhere. But I don't want to be loyal to a fault. I need to find an excellent shop that I can feel good about going to for years, especially if I stick with tris and fork over a couple thousand for a bike. I'm about to buy some clipless pedals, where should I buy them if this place can't get my bike back to me in a reasonable time.

I also feel unsure about the fit I got. The 1st time they "eyeballed" it and that was it. I asked this weekend and they put much more effort into it and came up with a similar result. During my long ride, I had to move the seat up, I couldn't get any power on hills.

I will just have to go get the bike back if they can't finish by Saturday, I have a biathlon in Wilmington next Sunday.

2007-03-12 6:50 PM
in reply to: #720567

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Raleigh Area Bike Shops
There are good and bad bike shops in the area. I have no problem naming the ones I wouldn't use again (All-Star Bike Shops) and the ones that I like (Performance Bike Shop and Cycling Spoken Here).  There was a thread earlier about local bike shops. I'll try to find it and bump it forward. I would tell them that you have to have it back by Saturday or you will need to pick it up. If they are any good they should work around your schedule or at least tell you they can't ahead of time. Good luck.
2007-03-13 3:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-14 4:09 PM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
I'm glad I didn't name them, because I would (and do) owe them an apology. My bike is ready. Maybe I miss understood or he miss spoke. I would have thought he would clarify the Wednesday he meant when he got my reaction. He must have though I was crazy the way I reacted to a couple of days. So, no need to shop for pedals elsewhere.
2007-03-14 4:29 PM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
That whole "this" Wednesday and "next" Wednesday thing causes me problems all the time because it depends on when people think the week starts. It gets all confoozled worse when you start with "this last" Wednesday ... or "this coming" Wednesday ... and exactly which Wednesday is "Wednesday after next"?

Glad you've got your bike back!

I bought my bike at Cycling Spoken Here in Apex and have been very happy with the service I've gotten there. I showed up with my bike on a Saturday for a tune-up, and they put aside what they were doing and did it right then. I took her for a quick spin to make sure everything worked as it should, and I was out the door in less than 15 minutes when I had expected to leave her there for a couple of days.

Robin
2007-03-14 8:06 PM
in reply to: #723105

Veteran

DMarkSwan - 2007-03-14 5:09 PM I'm glad I didn't name them, because I would (and do) owe them an apology. My bike is ready. Maybe I miss understood or he miss spoke. I would have thought he would clarify the Wednesday he meant when he got my reaction. He must have though I was crazy the way I reacted to a couple of days. So, no need to shop for pedals elsewhere.

Make sure you give a shout out when you find a good one. Everybody wants to know about the good ones. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raleigh Area Bike Shops Rss Feed