Other Resources My Cup of Joe » need help with gluten, egg, wheat, nuts free recipes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-15 5:20 AM

Expert
Brisbane
Subject: need help with gluten, egg, wheat, nuts free recipes
does anyone have an online source for allergy food recipes? my son has allergies to most commercially available food so we need to make a lot of his stuff.

2007-03-15 7:24 AM
in reply to: #723526

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: need help with gluten, egg, wheat, nuts free recipes

Wow.  Good luck.  Some quick and easy breakfast stuff you might check out are the gluten-free frozen waffles from Trader Joe's.  Pretty tasty, convenient, and easy to store as backup food.  Also, there's some new cereals out from , grrrr, can't remember the name of them but my wife found them at the Jewel (local grocery store chain) so they can't be that hard to find.  They make Cheerio style, peanut butter and fruity type cereals.  All pretty tasty.  I don't know if they would cause problems with other allergies because I'm only concerned with gluten.  I'm pretty sure they are nut free too.  I'll try to get the name. 

If he's got dairy issues but likes cottage cheese you can try the Lactaid brand cottage cheese.  It's good (their milk is good too) and you can mix fruit into it to make it better.

If you're on the road and he must have a snack (it happens) grab a bag of Frito's at any convenience store/gas station.  Corn based - no wheat.  I know they're not healthy, but most people don't understand the feeling of being hungry and not having anything to eat and not knowing what you can buy that won't make you sick.  It can put you into a panic.

I love cold cuts so I'll use corn tortillas and make sandwiches that way.  Make sure your cold cuts are gluten-free.  Sara Lee as a brand makes sure that all their cold cuts are GF.

Clif bars are GF but I don't know about nuts, or if he even would like them but they are another good backup/emergency/convenient food to keep around.

Good luck.  That's a tough road you are on and I pray all the time that my kids don't have what I have because I'd much rather deal with it myself than see them have to go through it.  Anytime you want to chat let me know.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » need help with gluten, egg, wheat, nuts free recipes Rss Feed