General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Killer Calf Cramp and Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-26 2:38 PM

Subject: Killer Calf Cramp and Recovery
I suffered my first and hopefully last major calf cramp in my swim class on Tuesday night. Fortunately I was in a pool and close to the wall. I couldn’t move and the instructor had to get in the water to massage it out. Today it feels like I got kicked in the calf and my calf is pretty tender. Should I wait a couple of days before I run or bike? I jogged a few yards yesterday and didn't notice any pain while I was moving, it's only when I get up to move around or touch my calf that I notice the soreness. I was planning on a 20-30 mile bike ride this weekend on my new Trek, albeit at a relaxed pace. It'll be the first time out on a road bike in man many years! Thanks for any advice!

2004-08-26 2:48 PM
in reply to: #53812

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: Killer Calf Cramp and Recovery
I'm no doctor, I don't play one on BT and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but ...... I got the mother of all calf cramps mid-way thru the swim in a 1/2 IM in July. It felt like I had a baseball in there. I finished the race basically swimming one-legged, worrying how I would feel on the run. I felt it a couple of times on the bike, and barely on the run, and though it was sore the next day, I rubbed and stretched it lightly and have not had any ill after-effects. I'd say you're just fine doing whatever you want. If it hurts, stop. If it doesn't, my guess is a little movement proabably will do you good. Good luck!
2004-08-26 3:03 PM
in reply to: #53824

Subject: Thanks, Dr.
Felt like someone stuck a baseball in my calf, too!
2004-08-26 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
I have suffered massive calf cramps in the past and have gotten them undercontrol with magenesium and potassium supplements - not a recommendation just passing along how I dealt with them.

If you can afford it a good massage from someone with California massage or Trager massage experience would be worth the money if it is still bothering you.

I have to ask though - you haven't been on a road bike in many years but you are considering doing a 30 mile ride? Even at an easy pace a 30 mile first of the season ride is going to be hard unless you have been doing something else to prepare for it (like a spin class). I try to keep my first ride of the season to about 10 or 12 miles just to get the feeling of the spin back into the legs and to prevent feeling saddle sore the next day. Once again though - that is me maybe I am just overly cautious.
2004-08-26 3:31 PM

Chelan, WA
Ouch!!! I hope it never happens to me! The way I swim, I'd surely drown.
2004-08-26 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I had one in both calves during my last 1/2 IM and couldn't get rid of them. What usually works for me is to straighten the leg out and point my toes up and towards my body to stretch it.

2004-08-26 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Stretch! Stretch! Stretch! If it doesn't cause any pain to run, that might actually help by getting blood into your legs. And ice bath may help take some of the pain out, too. If you can't afford a massage, at least try to massage it yourself.
2004-08-26 3:49 PM

Subject: Long ride...
Hey FatMan,
Thanks for the info! I forgot to mention that I've been mountain biking for the past few years, and have had to tackle some huge hills in my area. So, I think the long road ride will be a joy.
Thanks again!
2004-08-26 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I have been getting minor "twinges" in my calves lately and have been very conscientious about stretching. I know that when I get the "twinge" during a swim, it's usually a sign that it's time to stop -- that I'm getting tired.

I have also noticed it when riding my bike (usually commuting) and I have to put my left foot on the ground. I prefer to stay on the seat, so that means I have to reach my toes down, and I think it puts too much strain on my calf muscle.

I've just started taking my multi-vitamin again, so I'm curious to see whether it improves.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Killer Calf Cramp and Recovery Rss Feed