General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone belong to any Tri Clubs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-10 1:52 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Anyone belong to any Tri Clubs?
Anyone belong to any Tri Clubs?

I just joined the Triathlon Club of San Diego.
http://www.triclubsandiego.org/

I wanted the discount on equipment and events. I want to hook up and start training with this group, but I'm a little worried about being too wimpy while I still build up my base.

I also am swimming at the YMCA. I will start swimming with the Masters group there in a few weeks (still working on my yardage).

I'm curious if the rest of you are training on your own, or part of a group (other than this board!).

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2004-01-10 1:53 PM

2004-01-10 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3559

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Anyone belong to any Tri Clubs?
Most tri clubs welcome new members no matter what their level. It take everybody to make the club successful. If a club or masters swim progam was set up just for the elite, then they would be that successful. I think that you will probably find some great folks who are willing to support you while you strive for your goal.

I belong to one of the largest tri clubs in the state of LA and my second year in the club, I ended up on the board.

I am accepted as an equal to all in our club. We are no where equal to the size of the San Diego club, but I feel you will get the same warm reception that I got.
2004-01-10 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Once I get the spare cash I will become a RAT- Rochester Area Triathlete. They are the only one in my area.
2004-01-11 10:29 AM

South Bay
I'm going to the Silicon Valley Tri Club's open house in a couple of weeks and plan to join. They have a whole division/workout group for the "New To The Sport" and they specifically invite those off the couch. The first group workout (a run and a bike the next day) is the last weekend in January. That being said, I am a little intimidated wondering if I will be the only one who didn't compete in one of the three sports at some point... I'll let you know how it goes.
2004-01-11 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I have been looking for a tri club in my area (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) for some time now but the only one I found was a women's club and they wouldn't take me....sigh!
2004-01-11 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
That sucks. Did you ask them if they knew of any clubs. What about trying to start your own, do you have any workout buddies.

2004-01-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3583

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes too!
Rojo,

I'll let you know how it goes too! Like I said, I'm reluctant to put myself in the midst of these folks who have been training for some time, and I'm just now starting to get my momentum...
2004-01-15 11:58 AM

To prepare for my first marathon last November I joined a running club. To be honest at first it was intimidating doing workouts with extremely good athletes. But you get over it, and soon the benefits of the workouts far outweigh any self-consciousness you might feel. Focus on your workout, not what others are doing. If anything it prepares you mentally for racing.

From my experience with the triathlon club I just joined, I'd say that triathletes in general are much more friendly. They are undoubtedly as good athletically and enjoy competition just as much, but don't throw around nearly as much attitude as runners can (sorry, its true). The veterans of these clubs, especially in San Diego, are an invaluable source of knowledge and experience that they will usually part with for free, or a beer now and then. You don't have to race or even train against them, but with them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone belong to any Tri Clubs? Rss Feed