General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi folks, Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-26 7:33 PM

Subject: Hi folks,
I've been visiting this site for a while now and thought it was time for make my "official" introduction so here's my first post.

I'm 39 years old and have been a longtime runner and somewhat swimmer, road racing 5k, 10k, half marathons and one full marathon since 1990. In March of this year, I decided to finally do a traithlon. I set my sights on a Sprint (500m pool swim/ 12 mi. bike and 5k run) scheduled for June. I knew I could do the swim part since I swam some for fitness and could do 1500m (albeit slowly) non-stop in a pool.

But, I knew NOTHING about bicycling (and still don't know much) and the thought of going into a REAL bike shop and trying to find a bike (without looking like a total idiot) was almost enough to make me give up this tri thing altogether. Luckily, I found a fantastic local bike shop (Bicycles of Tulsa) and bought a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp that I absolutley love.

Learning the bike was a challenge, especially getting the hang of those ^$%#$ clipless pedals (Speedplay). Yes, I am a definite member of the TMMBRRR Club.

I finished my first Sprint Tri on June 12th (1:25) and since then have done a second Sprint (500m pool swim/ 13 mi. bike and 5k run in 1:18) and am training for my third Sprint set for September.

The only downside to this is that I've gone from being a fairly normal runner type to a trainig obsessed, gadget crazed tri geek with an unexplained craving for peanut butter, an apartment with tri gear hanging in almost every room and these annoying slobbering fantasies of either a Litespeed Saber or a Cervelo P3 (calling with the siren song, "buy me, buy me....I'll make you fasssterrrr" as if I could even afford to look at either of those bikes). To top it all off, I now have bloodshot eyes from constantly browsing BT, the most addictive website on the planet....where does it all end?? Okay, maybe that's all a slight exaggeration.

Seriously though, this is a great site and I love reading all the supportive comments for all the folks training for their races. I've also been laughing hysterically (and often out loud at work) at the continuing "Thread About Nothing."

Anyway, that's enough about me so have fun, train wisely and race like you mean it.

Mike from Tulsa

2004-08-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #54087

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Hi folks,
Welcome to the T-Spot!  Greatest Place on Planet Tri!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi folks, Rss Feed