General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sprint Tri 2K5 Candidate Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-27 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: Sprint Tri 2K5 Candidate
My goal is to complete a sprint tri sometime next year... I will have to find one coming to or around Louisville. Im in fairly good physical shape, do strength training 3 times a week, take Aikido 2 to 3 times a week and have started running 2 to 3 times a week. I looked at the couch to 5K program and tried to start from the beginning with the walk, but I decided to take a jog first to see how I would fare. I found I can consistently run 2 miles right off the bat... Im not in the position to start the bike or the swim yet ... i.e. only have a mountain bike, and am getting ready to go on a 17 day trip to Europe so dont want to start any new routines quite yet. My questions are these:

>The walking part is way to boring and I have the stamina to run... can I skip a few weeks ahead to the complete running part?
>Will training with a mountain bike for the first few months while Im saving for a road bike be a problem?
>If my focus is to simply finish with a respectable time... should I just focus on doing the programs to the T to slowly build endurance (I was a sprint swimmer all my life)
>Would you recommend entering some 5K, 10K, Mini Marathons along the way to give me milestone to work towards and accomplish... give me experience with those distances?

Alot to think about Im just excited about this new goal that I have and want to know where to focus my energy. The run is the worst part for me... Im a great swimmer, good on the bike. Im a VERY competitive person, so I might scratch that part of 'just finishing'

2004-08-27 1:02 AM
in reply to: #54192

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Sprint Tri 2K5 Candidate
Welcome to the Trispot. I'll see if I can offer some advice.

>With running, you have to make sure that your cardiovascular fitness and just plain physical toughness keep up with themselves. What I mean is that when someone begins running they sometimes get shin splints and other injuries just from the impact. Since you're in good shape, I'll assume you're not carrying too much extra weight, so personally I would skip the walking parts. You don't have to fly ahead of schedule, but maybe replace some of the walks with runs, stay on the same timetable, and see how you do.

>A mountain bike for training is totally fine. You'll even see a few at races. Plus, there's the old "train heavy, race light" saying, so a mountain bike will help in some ways.

>I think following the schedules to a T would be a good thing. I've been running way too many years, and I always get off of my schedules. Sometimes I get injured or overtrained or have disappointing times because of it. This year I'm finally following a marathon schedule exactly, and my running is better than it has been in a long time. The one exception to following the schedules is if you're body doesn't like it. Backing off or switching sports until you feel better usually doesn't hurt your progress much.

>Definitely enter races along the way. Short term goals will be motivating, and the races give you valuable experience. And they're just plain fun.

It's good to see you're excited about this. Be sure to let us know how you progress.

-dave
2004-08-28 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome - I like your picture. 

If you can run, then run.  Just take it easy.  You want to build endurance first, not necessarily speed

Your mountain bike is great!  Once you switch to the road bike, it will feel easy.

And yes, enter some other races - see how it goes. 

Good luck!

2004-08-28 10:42 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome and good luck...u have gotten lots of great advice...just listen to your body on the run...all too often ones cardio system is ahead of ones skeletal system - hence ealry injury...yeah...your lungs can do the miles but your joints may be rebelling until they catch up. 

good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sprint Tri 2K5 Candidate Rss Feed