General Discussion Race Reports! » Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trail - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, NC
United States
Cape Fear Cyclist
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 25/38
Age Group = Beginner
Age Group Rank = 9/21
Pre-race routine:

This was actually a bike and then run event. I arrived about 50 minutes early. I checked in and then made sure that all of my gear was in order.

The night before I drank 3 X 16.9 oz bottles of water before going to bed. I did no training for two days prior. The Thursday prior to the race I was out of work sick. I got about seven hours of sleep prior to the event, so I was well rested.
Event warmup:

It was really cold, I put 43 degrees above, but I am not exactly sure. I didn't really do any type of warm-up.
Run
  • 29m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

As stated above, the run came after the bike. The transition was really hard on me, my legs felt like jello. After about a half a mile, my legs were into it. I ran the run in my expected time.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my transition and do some "brick" training.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Once again, my legs were like jello coming off the bike. My transition area was the farthest away of all, so some disadvantage there. I was so tired that I sat down to put my shoes on, and took the rest break. I could tell that my motor skills had decrease due to the exhaustion and elevated heart rate. It was hard for me to tie my shoes.

Closer transition is better; practice transition more.
Bike
  • 36m 7s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.61 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was good. This was my first event and I was pleased.

I have kind of slacked off on bike training due to an overwhelming amount of time tring to build my swim. I wasn't terrible, but had I spent a little more time on it, I think it would have made a noticable difference.
Post race
Warm down:

At the finish line I was unable to catch my breath and thought I was going to vomit. I grabbed a Gatoraid and just tried to work through it. After about three minutes I was okay. No warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, the cold, and probably sheer nervousness. I was race number 2 and 1 didn't show so I also started alone. It was close to the turn around point before I ever saw another racer.

Event comments:

I hope that this is an annual race. I think that it is a good season opener. It was a great first race for me, and think that it would be a great one for any beginner. There was no pro pressure, you know the ones that do it every weekend and you are just in their way. The event staff was great. I would do it every year if it is offered.

Last updated: 2007-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:04 | 03.11 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/38
Performance: Good
Course: One and a half mile out and back course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 03:00
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:36:07 | 10 miles | 16.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/38
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: River Rd. It was a five mile out and back course. The five miles out was all into the wind. It wasn't extremely windy, but I did know that it was blowing and sometimes had trouble keeping forward motion.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 9:31 AM

User image

Wilmington, NC
Subject: Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trail

2007-03-20 7:05 AM
in reply to: #728120

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trail
Great job, Billy! Sorry I made you late.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fallen Officer Biathlon Time Trail Rss Feed