General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtraining on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-27 12:30 PM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
Subject: Overtraining on bike
I am just curious about how you guys do your training. I am following the Olympic training plan but have an excellent base built up on my bike. The plan only calls for about 80 to 90 minutes for the long ride. I am used to going out for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the weekends. My routine is to go out at 6 and be home to fix breakfast for the kids by 9 on Saturday and Sunday.

Should I be backing off on my time and trying to ride faster or is the set up specifically for someone who is trying to build a base?

2004-08-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: #54400

Veteran
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Overtraining on bike
In my opinion I would continue to ride your current distances. I don't see where it would hurt you since your long ride is once a week. Everyone has different fitness levels and goals and I think sometimes you have to amend a plan for your needs and fitness ability. Keep up the hard work and I'm sure you will see the advantage of it.

Mike
2004-08-27 2:25 PM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
Thanks,

I actually do two rides one, on both Saturday and Sunday. I just didn't know if anyone had experienced something similar coming into tri training with one dominant sport and the other two needy work. If doing the sport you enjoy or are strong in too much worked against building up you base in the other activities as you progressed through the training schedule.

Jason

Edited by jwiedmier 2004-08-27 2:26 PM
2004-08-29 5:39 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Don't give away such an excellent base! I am on a program where the runs are much shorter than my usual - I tend to ignore the shorter runs and continue to do my usual run. I think where you may find its a problem for the Oly is that you need to sharpen your short distance speed. You could do that on your regular ride by occasionally dropping into the outer chain ring to get your heart rate up for short bursts.
2004-08-29 2:49 PM

I'd also say stick with your current long rides. Since the bike is the longest part of the race, I figure that the more conditioned one is for the bike, the more advantage you have for the bike to run transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtraining on bike Rss Feed