General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello! The official Introduction Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-27 2:57 PM

Kelowna BC
Subject: Hello! The official Introduction
Hell everyone. I think it's the Olympics that have inspired me to do a tri. I just got the idea recently and it won't go away...it sounds so exciting, a great fitness goal to work towards, and a great accomplishment after the fact.

I took the advice given here and got into the pool yesterday. I am mighty bad at swimming. I swam for a good 1/2 hour, working a bit on the crawl. I plan to swim 3 times a week and run twice a week, until the spring when I will begin the actual training program for the mini triathlon I will do next July.

About me: I live in the sunny Okanagan BC, and work at the university. I'm trying desparately to get a teaching job but I've been unsuccessful for over a year now. I snowboard and I golf. I can't seem to get fit and stay fit, but I am feeling good about myself right now because I am on the upswing once again. I hope doing the triathlon will help keep me to a fitness program that I can maintain for my whole life.

How many people here began with little mini tris like the one I am doing, and are now doing much longer ones? How long did it take you to get to that level?

It's awesome to find this forum and I will be hanging out here a lot.

2004-08-27 3:50 PM
in reply to: #54506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: RE: Hello! The official Introduction
I certainly agree that it is a lifetime sport - and never gets boring as there are so many different variations of workouts for each event. Your swim and run plan sounds like it is "actual training" btw.

I started training after doing a try-a-tri on impulse last summer (I was at the event anyway with my kids), and immediately started planning for a few Sprints the following year - which was this summer '04, figuring I would do a Oly the following year for my 40th birthday. But, as I was training over the winter - mostly outdoor running - it occured to me that I just might be able to do the Oly this year - and YES in the end I could and did. So now the question is: as I plan for a few oly's next summer ... will I end up doing the 1/2IM??
2004-08-27 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
the olympics have sure inspired my workouts too...great swim!
2004-08-27 5:28 PM

User image

I was in your area last month--beautiful country!

Welcome to BT
2004-08-28 4:16 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  I started with sprint distance, and the tri bug got me and now I'm training for a 1/2 Ironman.  Tri's will do that - but it's a good thing. 

Good luck with training - you did good on your first swim!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello! The official Introduction Rss Feed