General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just Starting Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-27 6:22 PM

New user

Alabama
Subject: Just Starting
My wife and I have decided to start triathlon training. It should give a goal to work at that is something more than a 5k or the like. I am a swimmer should have been born with gills and my wife is the runner. I am a little on the heavy size 210lbs at 75" and think I need to lose weight before I really start the main training. Is there anyone with some good tips to drop the weight or is it not really as bad as I think. I look forward to the competition as does my wife. Thanks for the chance to get to post. We will probably be asking a lot of questions about gear and diets and competitions and everything. So we appreciate the help.

2004-08-27 9:32 PM
in reply to: #54629

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Just Starting

Hi Shark,

Watch out for Lara.  She will have you for dinner.

Tri training and weight loss work better together for some people than for others.  People seem to have a really different experiences.  When I restarted a regular exercise program a couple of years ago (after getting that last kid into college), I lost about 25 lbs that I really needed to lose.  For me, it was pretty easy. I just had to get accustomed to being hungry for an hour before it was time to eat.  I lost the weight pretty gradually .5 to .75 lb a week.  Other people try harder than I and can't get the needle on the scales to budge in the downward direction.

Whether the weight loss is easy or hard for you, the exercise is really better for your health than purely losing weight without exercise.  There are some people with really life changing experiences on weight loss that post here.  They can give some emphasis on the weight part.

The best advice is to keep up the regular exercise, eat a healthy (i.e. diverse and balanced) diet, and see what works for you.  Oh yeah, most of the nuts around here have fun while doing it.

Post early, post often.

TW

2004-08-28 11:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-28 12:51 PM

Champion
Gold member

welcome...you can try running and see if your legs feel good...it sounds like you should be fine.  Starting with cycling is another option that many use to initially lose some weight before trying running should you have a problem.

so you could swim, cycle for several months then start in running.  it will help u ease into things and prevent burnout.  don't make weightloss your prome directive, you need a lot of calories for tri trianing and over time if you eat well and healthy, u will lose the weight and not starve.

good luck. 

2004-08-28 3:41 PM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
6'3", 210 doesn't look too heavy to someone who's 5'9", 190.Just take it easy on the run, as that's where the most impact will occur. Start at an easy pace/distance and build slowly from there, give your joints and muscle time to strengthen. If you have weight to lose, it will come off with the increased activity as long as you don't increase your consumption. Might be a time to start looking at 5-6 smaller meals per day, cutting the fat, cutting the empty calories. Replace them with Lara's shark recipes. Or would that be cannibalistic?
2004-08-28 4:14 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Great goal that you have set!  Start your tri training and I think you'll see a difference in your weight - everyone above has good advice.  Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just Starting Rss Feed