General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting out in Triathlon from a cycling background Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-29 9:20 AM

New user

manchester
Subject: Starting out in Triathlon from a cycling background
Hi Guys,
am from the UK and just stumbled across this site having looked for sources of information on getting into the triathlon. I havent done any triathlon training before although i have been cycling for the past 6 months. I train regularly on the bike (3 times per week, 25 miles per session) but havent done any running for a long while.

Am looking to do the couch to sprint program, starting with the aggressive run program for the next four months. I understand from the articles that this will give me a good running base having not run for a few years now.

The training times seem short compared to my current cycling times but i understand that I do need to see it as progressive to avoid injury.
If anyone has any other suggestions on training at this stage I would be really grateful.

Looking forward to getting to know you all out there!

Gary

2004-08-29 12:38 PM
in reply to: #54843

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Starting out in Triathlon from a cycling background

welcome.  yes, since your cycling is already 'up to par', what you can do is just 'hold' or gradually improve your cycling times (maybe split the 3 days into a short, medium and long session - longest being what you do now - 25miles)...then start the run and swim part according to the plan.  this will still be conservatively progressive enough to allow a safe buildup.

i dont see any reason why you would want to go back down in the cycling mileage you have gained in cycling so far.

good luck...

2004-08-30 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Good luck with adding the swim and run!
2004-08-30 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
welcome!
2004-08-30 5:48 PM

New user

manchester
thanks a lot for the advice. I will continue to do the cycling to keep up the miles and have started the running today. Quite surprised how difficult it is getting going with the other muscle groups I havent used for so long. I would imagine I will be quite sore tomorrow so will probably spin out the lactic on the bike tomorrow night. Its good to have the base in cycling and am looking forward now to getting into the running. I think I will probably limit the swimming for now until i get some sort of base fitness in the runnning.

Thanks for the advice again. ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting out in Triathlon from a cycling background Rss Feed