General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to upgrade road to tri bike... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-25 7:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: When to upgrade road to tri bike...
I was curious when a beginner triathlete who started with a road bike would upgrade to a tri bike? For example, is it silly to do a 1/2 IM with a road or is that conceivable if you get a seat that it set back more(LBS told me that) and install aerobars?

I'm not necessarily referring to myself b/c I haven't even purchased a road bike yet, just a beginner trying to gather as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks.

2007-03-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: #735881

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: When to upgrade road to tri bike...
BrianO - 2007-03-25 8:43 AM

I was curious when a beginner triathlete who started with a road bike would upgrade to a tri bike? For example, is it silly to do a 1/2 IM with a road or is that conceivable if you get a seat that it set back more(LBS told me that) and install aerobars?

I'm not necessarily referring to myself b/c I haven't even purchased a road bike yet, just a beginner trying to gather as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks.

You can get a fast forward type of seat post that pushed the seat forward some, possibly enough, but I don't think you'll ever get to the "perfect" position with a road bike/aerobars/forward seat post.

LBS was wrong telling you to move the seat back to use aerobars. You actually want the seat further forward. That's basics 101. I'd find another, more Tri-friendly shop if they told me that, personally.

Which bike you use depends on your riding style. If you plan on riding in group rides/pace lines primarily, get a road bike, and ride it on everything. If you plan on only solo rides, or time trial rides, get a tri specific bike.
2007-03-25 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

You "upgrade" to a tri bike from a road bike when YOU feel that you might benefit from it.  In the meantime, do the research, read as much as you can on the difference between road bikes and tri bikes*.  Take a look around your area to see what tri bike brands are available and read the reviews on them**.  And, if at all possible, beg or borrow a tri bike and try it out.

*For instance: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

** For instance: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/index.shtml

2007-03-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #735885

Extreme Veteran
tjtryon - 2007-03-25 8:14 AM

BrianO - 2007-03-25 8:43 AM

Thanks.

You can get a fast forward type of seat post that pushed the seat forward some, possibly enough, but I don't think you'll ever get to the "perfect" position with a road bike/aerobars/forward seat post.

LBS was wrong telling you to move the seat back to use aerobars. You actually want the seat further forward. That's basics 101. I'd find another, more Tri-friendly shop if they told me that, personally.

Which bike you use depends on your riding style. If you plan on riding in group rides/pace lines primarily, get a road bike, and ride it on everything. If you plan on only solo rides, or time trial rides, get a tri specific bike.

I'm guessing that my LBS said that the seat would bo moved forward and I was confused.
I was overloaded with info that day.
Thanks for the advice.
2007-03-25 9:12 PM

As "Machiaelo" suggested the "BikesportMichagan" website is a good place to find some real good information about bikes as they relate to triathlons. You may want to check out their bike reviews. Based on their review of the Cervelo Team Soloist and after I checked to make sure it would fit me, I purchased one 2 years ago. This bike that solves the issue on whether to get a road bike or a Tri bike. It works well as both.

By switching the seatpost head to the foward position and adding aerobar it makes a good Tri bike. With the setpost head if the regular positon and with the aerobars off it makes a great road bike.

I used it for 7 triathlons so far and also several age group Time Trials. I have used it as a road bike for road races, group road rides including several centuries. It is very comfortable in either position. With a spare setapost head, it can be switched from from one to the other in less then 5 minutes. That comes in handy at some road race events that have a time trials as well as regular road races. I only have to take one bike and can be ready for either event qucikly.

For my money it is one of the best deals around - 2 great bikes for the proce of one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When to upgrade road to tri bike... Rss Feed