General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard workout followed by not-so-good feeling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-26 10:38 AM

User image

Woodland Park, CO
Subject: Hard workout followed by not-so-good feeling
Hi all. I am new here (how many times is that phrase written here a day??), so forgive me if this has been answered already. I looked around, but didn't see what I needed. Yesterday, a friend and I planned a 12 mile bike ride, and that was it...

Then, after the ride she says to me, "Hey, lets make this a brick!" So, we then ran for three miles. All of this took us about 2 hours total (I didn't say we were fast!), and my HR monitor was showing very high - around 170-180 during much of the workout. (my avg was 157 - which is about 10 beats higher than I would like it to be)

Because I didn't plan on quite that long of a workout, I didn't plan nutrition well at all, eating a sandwich an hour before departure, and only water during the ride/run. This is my first good lesson.

After getting home, I was fine at first, but then after about 20 minutes, I felt horrible - nauseated and freezing - I took a hot bath to warm up. I wanted to go to bed, but knew I needed to eat. I drank a smoothie, a couple glasses of water, and ate a cliff bar. About an hour later, I ate dinner with more water. I still feel wrong this morning - almost hung over. This seems to be dehydration, but I'm wondering if there is any words of wisdom you all might have for me other than - drink water, stupid!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... I've been training for four weeks now for an olympic distance in September. We are also heavily considering a sprint distance in three weeks. I need to get this under control before then. Thanks in advance! I love this forum!

~JoAnna

2007-03-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: #736932

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Hard workout followed by not-so-good feeling
Hi, it sounds like you've already figured out what the cause was...poor nutrition and hydration. Read this post. It will probably make you laugh, but you shouldn't feel bad because many of us have had similar experiences:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2007-03-28 9:03 AM
in reply to: #736932

User image

Woodland Park, CO
Subject: RE: Hard workout followed by not-so-good feeling
Thanks, AdventureBear! I appreciate your feedback. Oh, and I never even thought about laughing at you!!

I was a bit confused because it was about 60 degrees here when I was training, so I knew it wasn't due to being cold from the weather... However, I think much of my mystery was solved yesterday when my training partner came down with a stomach bug that created for her the same symptoms which weren't preceded by a hard workout!! I hate to say that I was relieved and happy that she got sick, but it sure made my confidence increase about my aerobic capacity!! I think I simply was fighting a virus, that happened to hit me shortly after my workout. Both of us have kids who have been fighting this, too.

Not that I wouldn't have been tired afterward, but I was really beginning to question whether I was up for a sprint triathlon that I have scheduled for 4/14!

Thanks, again, for your post. Did I mention that I love these forums??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard workout followed by not-so-good feeling Rss Feed