General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Oly, done! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-08-29 3:12 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: First Oly, done!
wow, what a great event!  I got to be in the 1st wave so I wasn't worried about being the last one to cross the finish line, even tho I did have one of the slowest times of the day.  Had a fantastic swim and bike, and then as usual, gave it all up and then some on the run.  I really need to work on my running this off-season.  It was hot and humid, but my running stinks no matter what the temp.  32 minutes for the swim, I averaged a bit over 17 for the 25 mile bike, and a couple a days for the run.  I'm probably still out there.  Total time was 3:34, but official results are not online yet and I messed up my watch.  RR later.

The BEST part of the day was meeting TypeA Girl Pilot (I forgot to ask, are you really a pilot?  LOL) and seeing Glen and Max again.  My buddy Donna came out to volunteer and be part of Team Ellen     She and my son worked the water bottle exchange on the bike leg and she had a LOT of chalk artwork on the road for me.  She also had an iced coffee waiting for me at the finish line, how cool is that???  She knows it's my favorite recovery drink  LOL  I was positively stunned that she would do that for me!

The run was pretty hot and miserable and I questioned my sanity and ability for most of it.  Even contemplated suicide at the two water stops that had no water.  That's all for now.  RR when results are up.

May, Glen, Max, looking forward to reading your race reports too!  Mike & Matt said you guys looked great when they saw you 

2004-08-29 3:18 PM
in reply to: #54923

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: First Oly, done!

Way to go, T-Mom!  Will there be pictures?

TW

2004-08-29 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Fantastic. Times look good. I'm looking forward to reading the race report.
2004-08-29 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

YOU DID IT!!!!

You Rock, Ellen!

2004-08-29 5:02 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome awesome awesome! that is fantastic! you are an inspiration!!!!!
2004-08-29 5:32 PM
in reply to: #54952

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Nice job! Finishing an OLY must feel great!!!

Tony

2004-08-29 5:37 PM

Online or Offline
My race report will be for the Quadrathlon.
I created an entire event in itself at T1. I hate T1.

Hey Ellen!!!! Yes, I am a pilot, but not really Type-A. It's what I do for work to help pay the mortgage. Had I any real appreciable skills, I'd have gotten out of the profession years ago.....but i digress. It was great meeting you, your great personality is everything I'd expected after reading your posts here!

Feels great to finish that first Oly, huh? Great race, awful heat and humidity. Indeed, the run felt like a death march.

Still no official times last I checked, but my swim *when* I hit the split button a quarter way up those damn stairs it read a little more than :25. Don't recall where timing mats were located because I wasn't paying attention - were they at the bottom of the stairs coming out of the water? I thought it was waaaaay tooo hot for me to be wearing a full suit today. The water felt very warm.

T1 as usual, a 3-ring circus for me. It began with getting my wetsuit stuck around my ankles FOREVER (one day I am going to tear my wetsuit to bits getting out of it). 4th time wearing this thing, and it's not getting easier. First time using my new road bike - I am used to using my mountain bike, and the way I used to hook the handlebars onto the bike rack, I can pretty much just easily unhook it and go. Weeelllll.......with the new bike, it's brake levers hook around the pole much more, and when I was ready to go, I tried to pull it off the rack like I'd have done with the other bike. NICE!!!! Nope! Dragged the entire rack about a foot. There were 3 other bikes on the opposite side of the rack - thank goodness they didn't fall down! As I begin to leave, something made me look down. When I did look down, I saw my timing chip and strap lying on the grass. NOOOOOOOO!!!! Sonofab!tch. Total time in T1 was over 5 painful minutes. Hey, it's my first season.........................LOL

I saw Ellen's husband Mike on the twice on the bike and run as he volunteered out on the course - he's great! Gotta love volunteers with alot of spirit! I forgot to say thanks to him, and to Mark for doing the bottle handup, could you make sure you pass on the word?

I guess the bike for me was ok. "Flat" to me here, still is rolling hills in my book. 1 hr 25-ish, maybe about a 17.5 mph rate? Honestly, I'm deathly afraid of speed if I don't have metal enclosed around me and a seatbelt. Hence my bike performance. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Maybe next year I'll get over my irrational fear (and actually train more on a bike LOL).

T2 was uneventful. About 1min 48 sec. Except I had no initial clue where the RUN OUT was. Took a couple seconds and a few double takes, but all went well. (Talk about situational awareness!);

The run was like I said DEATH MARCH. More water was poured on me than ingested. 10K by my oh so accurate timing says 1hr 33 sec. I seriously doubt that's correct....because I know I wasn't running sub 10-min miles. I was dragging some serious butt. It's hard to run when your shoes are melting onto the pavement....you know how it is!

But all in all I had a great time, and Cranberry Country Triathlon is a beautiful New England course, the post-race chow was awesome (I hit the Baskin Robbins ice cream truck twice), the race director did a great job, and the traffic control was wonderful. AND we got colored T-shirts (cranberry, no less). No lipstick

So I met Glen (Hi Glen!) but missed Max. Was he the one with the Softride and nice smile?
2004-08-29 5:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Well, congrats to both of you! Sorry about your T1 girl pilot; just think about your improved times next year.
2004-08-29 6:58 PM

Champion

Great race Type A!  Sorry I did not get to meet you.  I'm the old geezer, big tattoo on right forearm, another one on my left shoulder of a mermaid.  I was in the first wave with Ellen, and had my average swim, about 26 minutes.  No drama in T-1, though I did wait for a few seconds to finish peeing in my wetsuit before removal.  Here is a tip you may want to think of trying.  I cut the bottom 2" off my wetsuit legs, where it dramatically narrows, and that has made a world of difference in removal speed.  Then it was off on the bike and I cranked out a good one, 21.5 mph average.  Gave lots back on the run, just like Ellen, so I too have to work on mine this winter.  It was great seeing Donna, Matt, and Mike out on the course and having them cheer for me when I went by.  I asked Mike how Ellen looked when I went by on the run and he said "She looks fantastic", so reports of her demise on the run course are highly exagerated!  Finished the Oly in 2:48, so I'm happy with that.  Race report is up as well

2004-08-29 7:01 PM
in reply to: #54960

User image

Resident Matriarch
OMG, your T1 sounds like so much fun......NOT! I was shocked when I got there to see all those bikes still there. They are usually looong gone by the time I get there. Being in the first wave was such a treat.

The run was definately a death march. You looked pretty damn good when you passed me tho.

I'm sorry I didin't get to introduce you and Max, definately next time. The guy with the great smile and Softride is some I know from our local track club. He did IMLP in 11:57.

official times are up now. I'm off to look at yours, Max's, and Glen's, then I am going to bed! Please pass the ibuprofin......
2004-08-29 7:06 PM

Champion

Ummm...speaking of DD's iced coffee....how did you like that Mocha Latte that we had to swim through?  LOL

2004-08-29 7:17 PM

Online or Offline
Actually I didn't think it was too bad. Yucky nonetheless, but comparatively speaking, not too bad. At least at the shallow parts you could see something on the lake bottom. During the swim, I couldn't touch the bottom, but then for a <5'4" person, my arm span isn't that great either.

My first tri's swim was in the dark Ashland Reservoir, followed by some NH pond for Mooseman (at some parts the vegetation came at you like octopi) , and then another hideous pond at Camp Yomechas.

Perhaps I am just getting used to swimming in disgusting and murky water!

2004-08-29 7:22 PM
in reply to: #54991

User image

Resident Matriarch
it was pretty gross, huh? I was trying so hard not to get a mouthful of it because I thought I'd be sick as a dog if I did. I did have some stomach cramps on the run tho.

Oh, and the OTHER thing kicking my ass, I forgot to tell you, or was too embarrassed to before, but I've been doing some full-contact painting this past week. That means Mike leaves gear (the closet shelf) in the middle of the room, and even tho it's as plain as the nose on my face, I trip over it. Yes, it was trashed, but so am I. At first I thought I punctured a lung or broke some ribs, because it hurt to breathe for a few hours. Before I went to bed I could see the bruises starting to show up......from the middle of my chest all the way to my waist, right along my ribs. That was friday and I am still bruised and swollen. So of course that's the only place I was kicked in the water today, right in the ribcage. I sure could feel it by the time I got to the run.....as if my running isn't bad enough! Good thing I don't make a living painting......I'd starve!

And speaking of starving....I feel as if I could eat a horse today! LOL
2004-08-29 7:25 PM
in reply to: #54987

Online or Offline
Max, next time we do the same race, definitely we gotta meet.

I had considered cutting off the bottoms of my legs after I bought it. I was afraid that it would compromise the stuctural integrity of the seams (but I suppose not since they are glued/fused?). I'm swimming in an Ironman Instinct, if you are familiar, are your seams similar?

And about the PEEING!! I've peed in my diving wetsuit, but only in the water!! Did you pee while you were on land? LOL That is too funny. I haven't gotten up the nerve to pee in my tri wetsuit yet because I'm afraid my shorts underneath will itch and smell like pee when they dry! LOL You da man.

Another friend of mine, also who started in your wave, got pee-pee and butt naked out of his bike shorts into running shorts in the transition......anything goes I guess!
2004-08-29 7:27 PM
in reply to: #55005

User image

Resident Matriarch
I haven't gotten up the nerve to pee in my tri wetsuit yet because I'm afraid my shorts underneath will itch and smell like pee when they dry!

you know the saying.....Just Do It!
2004-08-29 7:29 PM
in reply to: #55004

Online or Offline
OUCH Ellen!

Yeah, I got a few good kicks too trying to go between swimmers. Those girls weren't playing around....hey where are the race results? I don't see them on the CCT website or on coolrunning.

2004-08-29 7:33 PM
in reply to: #55007

Online or Offline
Well, does it itch and/or stink? I gotta know.

Ellen? Similar experience and self-disclosure?

2004-08-29 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Type A,

Good job on the race girl. You rock. Sorry about your nightmareish T1, sounds like mine! Aw well, you give and get. Congrats!

2004-08-29 7:37 PM
in reply to: #55008

User image

Resident Matriarch
2004-08-29 7:39 PM

Champion

Yes its funny we haven't met yet Type A....I was also at Mooseman earlier this year.  Well this one was probably my last for this season, but next year for sure.  We will have to all get together and have a "BT Team Photo" taken!

I do have a similar wetsuit...the Ironman stealth, and even though I cut the legs, it didn't compromise the seams, since they are bonded so well.  And as far as peeing in it on land, I guess in the heat of battle you do what you gotta do to get through it!  I've actually done it on the bike before, but it was during a rain storm, so at least it hid the evidence!

Edited by max 2004-08-29 7:40 PM

2004-08-29 7:41 PM
in reply to: #55009

User image

Resident Matriarch

TypeA Girl Pilot - 2004-08-29 7:33 PM Well, does it itch and/or stink? I gotta know. Ellen? Similar experience and self-disclosure?

who knows?  I had so much itch and stink going on it's hard to tell what it's from.   Ok, I don't think it's from pee tho.  I probably went three times while in the water.  Did ya really want to know that?  LOL  I had so much coffee and water by that time, oh well.  Gotta do what you gotta do!

2004-08-29 7:57 PM
in reply to: #55013

Online or Offline
Well, Max.. next year is always there. Hope to see you someday!

I found my way to the results, thanks for the link Ellen.

Ovetta, I'm so glad you feel my pain.....OK enough T1 drama, I didn't spend as much time in it as I'd calculated. :49 seconds less. And I suppose it is possible for me to have run that 10k averaging sub 10-min/mi.

But this whole urine thing! Yes, TMI but I need to know what I can get away with!!! Its life and death, mano-a-mano. McGyver-rigging all the equipment. Whatever's necessary.
2004-08-29 9:06 PM
in reply to: #55023

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2004-08-29 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Great race Ellen, Max, and Type A pilot Girl!  I was thinking about ya'll today and how hot it was running!  Now that I'm marathon training, Sunday mornings are dedicated to my long run of the week. Today was 15 miles -- ugh.

However, I hope to do the Cranberry race next year. It sounds like it was really well organized - ice cream and everything!

2004-08-29 9:46 PM

New user
West Virginia
Fantastic! Love the re-caps of the race...very funny And inspiring...can't wait to be able to post my first tri experience here! Y'all did great!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Oly, done! Rss Feed  

of 2