Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Project Manager Software Recommendations Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-26 9:49 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: Project Manager Software Recommendations Needed
I work for a small engineering firm (6 engineers) and have just been made Sr. VP and part of my new job is to get our project management in shape. We have copies of Microsoft Project and an old bare bones (read "cheap") version of Primavera - I believe it is called Sure Trak.

I am not a huge MS Project fan and the last project manager didn't like the cheap version of Primavera, so I am looking for recommendations to change software packages.

I want something that I can use to:
Create and track individual project schedules
Manage resources on a globa scale (make sure that we have enough people to meet deadlines)
Create realistic delivery dates for proposed future work
Track cost and use these costs to estimate project costs in the future

We are strictly an engineering company and will not be doing construction only technical service and design work.

I am going to see how much the full version of Primavera is, because we have an alliance with two companies that use that program, but I would like recommendations from those who work(ed) with project management software before.

Thanks.

2007-03-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #737967

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Project Manager Software Recommendations Needed

*snerk*

You find something that does those last two well, let the rest of us know....

Seriously, though, I don't know about engineering (I do software), but it's kinda the same.  There's a number of PM and scheduling apps out there that are free and open-source, might be good for what you're looking for.  Google for open-source project management applications, or search Sourceforge. 

2007-03-27 12:05 PM

Veteran
Allen, TX
Take a look at Sharepoint. It's free. I've never personally implemented it but I hear it's pretty easy.
2007-03-27 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran

I think SharePoint is a pain to implement...but it is very robust.  I am going to make a big assumption that you have limited, if any, IT professionals--in which SharePoint might present several challenges.

I like dotProject or GanttProject (both open-source).  Here is a pretty decent run-down of some of the open-source options: http://www.softwareprojects.org/free-project-management-software.htm

In addition, you can find some quick review points for other PM software options at: http://project-management-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

2007-03-27 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
We use Deltek's Open Plan. (which, despite its name is not OS and does not run on linux. Bastards.) We use it with Cobra for the cost/budget side of things. i'm not too sure how well Open Plan would handle that on its own.
2007-03-27 1:46 PM

Master
Colorado
We use both MS Project Server for scheduling/resource management and Sharepoint as our collaboration tool.  While Project has a ton of capability, it has some quirky limitations that make it a PITA to impliment across a decentralized project.  Likewise, unless you have someone to dedicate full time to manage Sharepoint, I wouldn't bother with it.  There is much that can be done with it, but it really requires someone to stay on top of it to keep it running smoothly. 

2007-03-28 2:14 PM

User image

Woodstock
There's also Rational Portfolio Management (RPM).

Here's a link: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/portfolio/index.html

To your last two needs, regardless of what tool you use, the results can only be as accurate as the information that goes into it. I'm an IT Program Manager and a lot of our schedules and costs are dependent on our customer outputs and requirements definitions. If those aren't solid, we might as well be throwing darts blindfolded. Getting a handle on the inputs "should" make the management smoother.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Project Manager Software Recommendations Needed Rss Feed