General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim critique on video Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-28 9:00 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Swim critique on video

So, I joined a new master's group (since I moved) and this master's group is WAY more serious than my last team or at least, more serious about helping people to improve who show that they want to.  (I guess I showed I wanted to by showing up to 5:30 am swim, as before that they weren't really paying too much attention to me.) They video people once a month and it is FREE of charge if you belong to the masters.  My last team would do this once a year, but they would charge $25 plus it was always on a day when I wasn't there.  So, I thought why not?

The Swim Video Review
Coach: We always try and focus on a couple of things each time.
Me:  There's more than a couple?  (Thinking - crap.)
Coach:  Yeah, but we can't give you too much to think about at once.
Me: ok. (thinking - double crap.)
Coach:  Yeah, we've discussed some of the things you're doing with your stroke.
Me:  ok.  (thinking - the COACHES have DISCUSSED me?  Wow.  I'm either impressed or scared to death.)
Coach:  See your head?  You're holding your head way up out of the water.  That's really affecting your stroke.  You need to get your head more in line with your spine.
Me:  Yeah, I can see that.  It doesn't FEEL like that though.  (Thinking - man it looks like my head is a periscope and the rest of me is a submarine. )
Coach:  And, we want you to focus more on front quadrant swimming, you are starting your pull right when your hand comes out of the water and you need to glide more.
Me:  Ok.  (Thinking - it doesn't feel like that EITHER but yep, obvious as well.)
Coach: Now, let's look at your other stroke.
Me:  Ok. (Thinking - no, please, I know it will suck.)

and it did.  I did butterfly, which apparently, I am doing completely wrong.  It was painful.

Spent the rest of the time in the pool that day doing some slower laps just trying to get my head down, while focusing on glide and NOT forgetting to bend my elbows or under-rotate (they told me those last two were problems the 2nd time I swam with them.)  Yeah, it wasn't too relaxing as it was more like -  "Keep head down, ok.  arm coming up, bend elbow on LEFT while NOT pulling with RIGHT.  Then start the pull, but DON'T forget to ROTATE, but do NOT lift your head up."  Did not feel coordinated at all - but it's going to take some time to put it all back together... a never ending learning process apparently.

Just wanted to put out there that if you have the opportunity to do this you should, because I would have NEVER guessed that I was quite this uh... in need of improvement.

2007-03-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #741104

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Swim critique on video

What a wonderful training opportunity!

My masters coach sets up some great workouts, but rarely gives me any feedback on my stroke.  I'd love to do a video session like that.  I'll be very interested to hear how you've been able to incorporate the feedback.

2007-03-29 1:52 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Uhhh, my tri club coach says the same thing about me that yours say about you.

And I have the same thoughts and feelings as you do.

You must be my clone!
2007-03-29 8:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-29 9:29 AM

Crystal Lake, IL
That's great that you got to do that.  Hope it helps.  I know exactly how bad my stroke is by simply looking at the clock on the wall when I start and when I finish.
2007-03-29 9:43 AM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Maybe we should get a thread going where people post their technique on YouTube, and have others critique it.

I'd start one right now, but I need a way to prevent the thread from becoming very very messy.

2007-03-29 7:39 PM
in reply to: #741535

Elite
Bay Area, CA

So Fresh So Clean - 2007-03-29 7:43 AM Maybe we should get a thread going where people post their technique on YouTube, and have others critique it. I'd start one right now, but I need a way to prevent the thread from becoming very very messy.

OMG.  NO way.  It was bad enough having the coach looking at it.  NO WAY I want it enshrined on youtube.

I actually asked him - seriously - if they were going to erase the video disks.  That is NOT something I want to ever see again. 

2007-03-29 7:51 PM

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Mt triathlon coach offered this to all her trainees this  past weekend for $60.  But she gave us a disk to take home to watch ourselves as well as a list of what we were donig wrong and how to do drills to help correct it.  It's amazing what you can see when a camera is catching you from underwater and other angles.  I don't rotate enough at all...need to focus on that,.  But I think it's amazing that your Masters does this for free....really a fantastic tool!  good luck in your training!
2007-03-30 9:13 AM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Just wanted to report back that I am ALREADY seeing results from this.

Focusing on glide and body alignment - today I saw some VERY solid 1:55 100's.  This was medium effort level, and for only being back in the water for a month - I am extremely happy.  I've seen that before - but usually only after a while, PLUS higher energy output.

It's still going to take a while to get it fully integrated into my stroke - but today was great.

2007-04-01 8:44 AM

Novi, MI
GREAT post - thank you. Those are some things I need to work on, too. I was just reading an ad for a local swimming/tri club and considering if I should join. They offer free videos/library and on-site coaching. I believe you've just sold me on giving it a tri... I mean try!
2007-04-01 8:50 AM
in reply to: #742662

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
piperfl - 2007-03-29 8:51 PM

Mt triathlon coach offered this to all her trainees this past weekend for $60. But she gave us a disk to take home to watch ourselves as well as a list of what we were donig wrong and how to do drills to help correct it. It's amazing what you can see when a camera is catching you from underwater and other angles. I don't rotate enough at all...need to focus on that,. But I think it's amazing that your Masters does this for free....really a fantastic tool! good luck in your training!

That's awesome, I actually recommended that my swim coach do the exact same thing... not sure if he ever went through with it or not. Glad to hear it's working out for you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim critique on video Rss Feed