General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new guy going for the long distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-30 1:21 PM

User image

Portsmouth NH
Subject: new guy going for the long distance
I just started doing triathlons this year - only a couple sprints so far - but I'm hooked. I also have a friend that competed in her first ironman at lake placid this year and I was there to watch - WOW! Talk about motivation. It made feel like a lazy slob after seeing 70+ year old men and women, and a man with only one leg out there racing and doing well. So I signed up for next year at Lake Placid with no experience in long distance running or cycling. I do have about 20 years experience with swimming and a real determination to cross that finish line and have the announcer say "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"
Please feel free to offer any advice - I think I'm gonna need it
Thanks,
gabe

2004-08-30 1:32 PM
in reply to: #55287

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: new guy going for the long distance

Wow, talk about ambition!  You rock!  Get some books about long distance tri's.  Maybe Going Long by Friel and Byrn.  Find a training plan.  There's a 26 week IM plan in Training plans for Multisport Athletes by Bernhardt.  start building your run and bike base NOW!  Work on your nutrition strategies early - try gels, sports drinks, etc on your long runs/bikes/swims. 

That guy with one leg is in my tri club.  He did really well in IM USA!  He posted a race report for my tri club - what a cool guy.

2004-08-30 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
MD
First of all, congratulations! I'll be interested to track your progress, as I plan to do an IM event in the next year or 2. I also come from a swimming background, and I've had to teach myself how to run and bike longer and longer distances. My advice would include the following:

1. Get the book "Going Long" by Gordo Byrn and Joel Friel - it's a pretty good treatment of what it takes to train for an ironman distance race and it is applicable to anybody from a first-timer to an experienced long course triathlete.

2. Read up on nutrition for long course racing - a 10+ hour long race requires a serious focus on carbohydrate, protein, fluid, and electrolyte management. The strategies you'll need for an IM race need to be practiced and worked out well in advance of the actual race day.

3. Plan a couple "b" races throughout next year leading up to IMLP where you can practice your racing, transition, and nutrition strategies in a race situation.

4. Start working NOW on building the aerobic base, especially in biking.

Good luck, and keep posting your progress!

2004-08-30 2:37 PM

User image

Portsmouth NH
I do have the book Going Long (just got it) and it does have a lot of good information. I also have a book about running and it also has some good info about how to train for a marathon. Running will be my biggest barrier to overcome - I don't like running at all but it's part of the race. Biking I think I can work with and I plan to make it a priority. My brother is big into cycling and has a few century rides under his belt so he has given me some good advice.
Thanks for the tips so far!
Does anyone think it is worth the $200+ per month to pay for an online coach. I know they know more than me but, $200 is a big bill every month.
2004-08-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: #55334

User image

Expert
MD
$200/month is WAY more than I could ever justify spending for coaching, but I'm a recreational triathlete doing this for fun and exercise. I find that if I'm willing to read and take advice from others (such as this forum) that self-coaching works for me. Getting involved w/ local triathlon clubs, biking clubs, and running clubs helps, also, as you benefit from collective experience of others. The $2400 spent on coaching for one year could go a long way to getting a really cool bike.....

But, to each his own. If having a personal coach works for you it might be worth it.

I'd suggest posting the same question on the 'triathlon talk' forum to get a larger response. I suspect others will have much to say about this topic....
2004-08-30 7:43 PM

User image

Portsmouth NH
econway, I think i'm more like you - read some books and articles and ask questions - basically educate yourself as much as possible.
I will post the question on tri talk.
thanks

2004-08-31 12:24 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome...sounds like lake placid bit you.   

good luck with your ironman aspirations...we will be there for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new guy going for the long distance Rss Feed