General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie from Mississippi Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-30 4:03 PM

New user

Mississippi
Subject: newbie from Mississippi
Hello everyone! I have been interested in triathlons for awhile... I used to date a guy that was obsessed- and I thought that he was crazy....but now I am going to give it a shot.... I guess I'll join the crazy pool!

Right now I work out about 4-5 times a week- just running outside and inside- as well as lifting weights.

I have just recently decided to pick this sport up- and have already signed up for swimming lessons at my local gym. I have the running part under control (so I think) but know NOTHING about the bike.

Would someone mind telling me about what equipment I need- pretty much just the basics. I am right out of college and I am on a TIGHT budget... so I would take any suggestions on bikes, helmets, shoes, etc! I am 5'4... and seriously, do not know anything about the cycling end....

Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to learning more and getting started!!!!

2004-08-30 4:13 PM
in reply to: #55380

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: newbie from Mississippi
Where from in Mississippi?

Regarding equipment, this can be an expensive sport if you let it. try to stick within the basics for now, until your budget and your addiction grow.

IMHO, most important piece of equipment is the bike. This is always the longest leg of the triathlon, both in distance and time spent. Any bike will do to start, just make sure it fits. Nothing will take the enjoyment out of the sport as fast as an ill-fitting bike.

Good luck on your endeavor, please post any specific questions you may have. This is a learning experience for all of us.

2004-08-30 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
PA
Welcome to the sport! Just as Bear mentioned, this can be a big cash drain if you let it. It doesn't have to be that way if you plan things out well. For the bike, there is no shame in buying a used bike or a new one with low-end components to save on cost. The biggest issue will be determining what size bike you need. Bikes with the same frame size may have different "tube" lengths, that will affect your positioning. My advice is to go to a local bike store and try a few different bikes to see what feels good. Once you've tried a few, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for. One word of caution on buying a new bike with low-end components: If you really enjoy this sport, and hopefully you will, the first thing you will want to do is upgrade your bike. Unfortunately, bikes are like computers these days - people are always looking for the "latest and greatest" so be forwarned that resale value will be low, even for a 1 year old bike. Good luck!!!
2004-08-30 5:05 PM

User image

Elite

Welcome, EBrookemor.

Being well equipped for three very different sports is pretty expensive, but being adequately equipped to give it a go is not.  The most expensive item for you is probably going to be the bike but lots of posters here have started out for very little money.  A friend lends them a bike for a while, they get one at a yard sale, Santa Claus visits early, they win the lottery.  Just have a decent idea of the size bike that fits you so that you can jump on a good opportunity when it arises.  Going on a preliminary shopping trip to a local bike store is a good way to get some free advice and to take some test rides on a few different types of bikes. (be sure to keep that bike store in mind when you go out to buy your $6000 bike in a year or two.)

The essential stuff beyond the bike is one-piece swim suit, goggles, running shoes, and a couple pairs of running shorts and tops, but you no doubt have those bases covered already.

Enjoy.  Be sure to tell us how the adventure goes.

TW

2004-08-30 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
welcome. where in MS? I'm from south MS and live in Memphis now. like Bear said, regardless of how much you can spend on a bike, make sure it fits you properly. this is a great forum for new/beginner triathletes! as far as all the tri gear is concerned, i did lots of searches online, read tri magazines, went to all the bike shops etc. asked lots of questions to see what people actually are using/wearing etc. if you know any folks involved in the sport, ask them what they recommend. as mentioned before, start with the basics and build from there.

have fun!
2004-08-31 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
Mississippi
welcome to the site! i live in MS. what part of MS are you in? there is a jackson tri club that you can check out if interested.

http://jacksontri.org/

where did you just graduate from?

2004-08-31 1:15 PM
in reply to: #55655

New user

Mississippi
I live in Jackson and graduated from Mississippi State a little over a year ago!
2004-08-31 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Mississippi
i am a fellow MSU grad myself. what did you get your degree in?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie from Mississippi Rss Feed