General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » it's fun Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-30 6:33 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: it's fun
I've been suckered into training by a friend who is a city cop so he is in pretty good shape. I guess I'm in good shape but I'm not athletic. I've struggled all of my life to gain weight and just can't seem to do it. I've been within' 10lbs since graduating high school 9 years ago.

I'm pretty good on a bike but I've never liked running and have never really tried swimming. Louis (cop buddy) says he'll help me run by chasing me around so he can practice for work and I can become a better runner. The big problem with running is the cigarettes. (I already have a mom and step mom, not to mention the various grandma's, so please skip the lecture.) As I said the biking thing is pretty easy. I really like the bike because it is close to auto racing. I'm too scared to crash the bike but I try to fly through the corners at the parks when no ones around. I've taken a couple of on-grass excursions due to missing the apex of turns and therefore missing the path at the end of the turn and the grass has been good to me and not tossed me on my butt. When I get more compitant with running I'm going to take a stab at swimming and focus on that during the winter months when it isn't as nice outside.

I'm working on being able to run now. Last week I ran 1 minute and walked a minute for 30min, 45min and 60 min each day. This week I'm doing 2min running and 1 min walking. So far I like running for 2 minutes more than 1min, but at the end of 30min my butt is spent. I'm going to do 30 min again when I get done typing this; from my experience I doubt I can do 45min. Running and smoking don't mix. On the long rides (over 1:30.00) I usally have a cigarette so that I can go for a little longer otherwise my performance drops because I'm thinking of my smoky-friend. I'm sure it's a great sight; 6'3, 155lbs, spandex, pretty blue bike, Marlboro hanging out of my hand.

There aren't really any more tris this season that I've found so I'm focusing on next spring. The only concern I have is that I'm not very competitive. I enjoy doing well and dislike doing poorly but I don't beat myself up for doing bad. Hopefully competing in a few tris will change that.

2004-08-30 6:47 PM
in reply to: #55441

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: it's fun

I am not competitive either, but I like being healthy and fit.  Running, biking and swimming regularly work pretty well to maintain that.  Hope you are wearing a helmet on that bike.  On the weight thing, Mother Nature has a little surprise for you.  I estimate you are 18+9=27.   In about 13 years, you won't have any trouble gaining weight.

At your age, you are at the very peak years for endurance training.  My advice is to get yourself into the best shape possible, enjoy some races, chuck the cigarettes, and set yourself up for a long healthy productive life.

TW

2004-08-30 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
OF COURSE a helmet on the bike. I have far to much important data between my ears to protect. You summed up the long term goal pretty well; "get into the best shape possible, enjoy some races, chuck the cigarettes, and set yourself up for a long healthy productive life. I just have to remove smoking from the equation and I'll be on my way". As far as the productive part goes, I'm searching for my way to benefit society, but thats a topic for another day. Probably a topic not to be figured out via the internet either.

And I went about 300' (both going and coming, so really 600') further running today than I did in the same amount of time yesterday. Improvement! But now my right ankle hurts when I walk down steps. When the right is the planted foot and I step with the left and rotate over the right ankle, it hurts. I can point my tows straight with no pain. Side to side is med pain but doable.
2004-08-31 12:22 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

your doing good on the running...it will all stitch together continuously before you know it...u may even like it...i wish i could share your 'goodness' on the bike.

welcome and good luck...

2004-08-31 5:00 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  good luck training - by spring you'll be very ready
2004-09-01 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Good luck!

I wish I began at your age. About 35, nature reverses course on you and makes it hard to keep the weight off. I didn't get hooked on this till this spring (I'm 42) and I'm still working on growing my running legs.

Enjoy and good luck in the spring.

2004-09-02 6:46 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the the T-Spot!
2004-09-02 7:00 PM

Veteran
Washington
You're one of the lucky few that have to WORK to gain weight...let me tell ya, if you need a few extra pounds just let me know, I'm more than willing to donate a few extra that I'm carrying around. As for the running thing. I hated it until I got into my mid 20s now love it! Find that it keeps me "balanced, focused, and at peace". The couch to 5K training program is a great way to start. I have had much success with it. As for the smoking....well, you already know the answer to that. Good luck with your training!
2004-09-03 12:32 AM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Thank so much for all of your encouragement. The running seems to be going all right but it would be better without the smokes. They will be gone soon. I just need a little time to prepare myself mentally for the big day.
2004-09-03 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Not a lecture, but a bit of personal experience...

When I was 19, I used to smoke about a pack a day.
Then I started playing tennis. I wasn't bad, so I started playing more often. That led to actual training, tournaments, etc.

I became performance oriented and my body on its own (not me) quit smoking and started eating better. With hardly any mental effort whatsoever.

Just wanted to share that with you. Welcome and good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » it's fun Rss Feed