United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:30 AM. We (boyfriend and I) were moving slow. We went to bed at a decent hour, but still couldn't stop yawning. I went home to eat breakfast and he showed up about 7:15 AM and we hit the road.

It was a 60 mile drive out there, so it was a long drive. There was still lots of yawning.
Event warmup:

The warmup consisted of us trying to hook up with TexMom and Kenny. We pretty much missed the wave of 64 milers and rode with the 20 miler group.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 54s
  • 40 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 12 miles of this ride were interesting and LONG!

We got started late, so that didn't help. It was interesting though, as we started out before the slower group and pretty much did our own ride up until mile 5 ish.

Up one of the hills Kenny dropped his chain. No biggie. We waited and then off we went again.

Then, my boyfriend got a flat. So, he changed that- it was being a bugger so it took longer than usual. Luckily he found the tiny shard of glass that caused it. While changing the flat, all the 8 and 20 milers caught up to us. Once the tire was changed, we took off again.

At this point, we had to dodge all the "slower moving vehicles". No problem, we just kept moving along.

We hit our first hill, and at the top there is a wreck. Apparently, an older man went up the hill and passed out at the top. He had obviously fallen over on the bike when he passed out and he wasn't breathing when we got there. It was a very scary moment. I use to know CPR, but haven't done it in about 10 years, so I wasn't going to rush in. Someone else started CPR and after a couple of minutes (yes, we thought he was dead!) he started to breathe again. Once we saw that he was going to make it, we moved on. Soon after we left and ambulance arrived on the scene.

After that, we crosed over the freeway and hit the service road on the other side. This is when the headwind kicked in. It was kicking our butts. I tried to draft, but it wasn't working out. Hills and wind. OH JOY!

Once off the service road, the wind was tamer as we changed directions.

At the first rest stop, around 12 miles, we assessed how we were doing. It was already 10:30 ish and we had only gone 12 miles. Not good. We all pretty much agreed that a shorter route was going to have to happen. Kenny still sounded like he wanted to do the 64 miles, but said he might chnage his mind.

So, off we went again. Let me tell you, there were hills on this ride. I love the challenge, so it was fun, although painful at times.

At the next rest stop, we talked again and Jill said she had to break off and do the 30 mile route. Her family was waiting for her and they had to get a new puppy. So, off she went and it was just Jonny (boyfriend), Kenny and I.

We all then decided that the 40 mile route was going to be good for us. With the wind and hills... it was for the best.

Once we left this rest stop, we hit A HILL. You know it's bad when they have signs on the side of the road and people cheering you on. I just got in my lowest gear (I really needed a triple!) and starting pedaling. I got to the top- didn't stop once!

I passed my boyfriend on the way up... and after he caught up to me... he was not happy. I was so pumped though and started saying I should run 3 miles after the ride, so I wouldn't have to workout on Sunday. My timing was bad- he wanted to kill me for mentioning running. HA!

From that point, we all pretty much rode our own rides. Jonny was ahead of me (usually within sight) and Kenny was behind me (not usually within sight). We agreed to meet at the next rest stop.

So, we meet at the next rest stop and our little group (I saw a cycling buddy there) was really going off about the hills. It was funny. I tell you what, that is when the swear words started to fly. HA!

Then we left and finished off the last 13 miles. Let me tell you, the 40 mile route was just perfect. Just enough of a challenge, but not too much to make the day completely miserable. I think the 64 miles would have been just too much for our group.

Once the ride was done, we waited for Kenny and cheered as he came in. We yelled his name and waved our arms... but he didn't SEE us. I think he was completely out of it. We did meet up for the burgers the firemen were cooking, after the bikes were packed up.

Overall it was a great time! I'm so happy we drove out there to do it. I will be back next year. The country roads were nice, I loved the hills and riding around and seeing the lake was beautiful. I got to see ducks, cows, horses, baby cows...etc. It was so pretty.
Post race
Event comments:

This was such a nice bike rally. It had a great small town feel to it. The aid stations were wonderful and so were the volunteers. The firemen were there and cooked for everyone afterwards. Having it at the High School stadium (a very nice one at that!) was neat. The route was challenging, but beautiful. I will go back next year.

Last updated: 2007-03-22 12:00 AM
Biking
02:49:54 | 40 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hilly!
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-01 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Ride for Heroes

2007-04-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: #744411

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: RE: Ride for Heroes
what...? "Not within site".. You mean you didn't see me... I was drafting off of you..haha.. Just kidding.. At least I got to see you guys at the rest stops. LOL . It was a lot of fun and I will do it again next year. I picked a heck of a ride to introduce myself to hills...haha.. I am feeling pretty good today..except for the sun burn....Yup, I forgot the sun screen...I am an idiot.

Thanks again for a great ride...It was nice to meet all of you, finally.

Kenny
2007-04-01 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Sounds like a really enjoyable ride, except for the older man who passed out.  I can only imagine how scared I would've been.

Good job fighting the hills too.

2007-04-01 7:57 PM
in reply to: #744456

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ten9T6 - 2007-04-01 1:06 PM

what...? "Not within site".. You mean you didn't see me... I was drafting off of you..haha.. Just kidding.. At least I got to see you guys at the rest stops. LOL . It was a lot of fun and I will do it again next year. I picked a heck of a ride to introduce myself to hills...haha.. I am feeling pretty good today..except for the sun burn....Yup, I forgot the sun screen...I am an idiot.

Thanks again for a great ride...It was nice to meet all of you, finally.

Kenny

Oooopssss! Sorry! I missed seeing you drafting off me.

It was fun. I really enjoyed it. I put some sun screen on at the start of the day... but it didn't last all day. Got a slight burn on my face.

I still can't believe you missed seeing us yelling your name and waving when you finished!

It was great meeting you too. And very soon Kenny, you will be dropping me on the hills.
2007-04-01 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Ha!  What an incredible adventure!!  An experience, for sure.  Glad you had a good time despite all the adversities

2007-04-02 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great job. Sounds like y'all had a "fun" time.

Seems like all your rides and races have such a sense of adventure to them.

One day you'll just go out and hammer something without any issues. But then, I guess, it would just make for a dull RR.

2007-04-02 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You have such a great attitude about the hills and wind. You need to tutor Johnny on how to write a more entertaining race report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ride for Heroes Rss Feed