2007-04-02 12:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-04-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: #745626

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Newbie swim question
Invest $20 in Total Immersion - best $20 you'll ever spend.
2007-04-02 12:15 PM

Master
Athens, Ga.
Swim lots - at least three times a week. It'll be slow at first, but you will start seeing improvement if you stick with it. And, if you're starting out too fast, slow down so you can increase those 50 meters to 100.
2007-04-02 12:23 PM

Champion
Butler

I agree with TI, but I would get the DVD. I have the book and it is really had to understand.  I used it briefly and it did help  but unless you can see the drill performed it is difficult. 

As for my experience, I started swimming Memorial Day weekend last year just for a different type of excersice, no real intentions of doing a tri.  First day I did 4 25 meter laps with breaks between each and was dying. I slowing got to were I could swim about 200m nonstop but was out of breath.  At this time I was training for a 50K trail run so I was in Cardo shape at least.  In sept I signed up for a tri about 5 weeks out (and did not even own a bike) that had a 300 meter pool swim as motivation.  Until about 3 weeks before the race I had not even swam 300 meters straight.  For some reason about a week before my race I was in the pool and just made my self keep swimming and swam about 750y nonstop and was tired (I was not fast about 2:30 per 100) but I made it.  I went back a few day laster and swam a mile at the same pace.  Not really sure why I just made my self slow down and keep going.

Basically TI will teach you to "Press the Bouy" which to me is looking at the bottom of the pool and pushing your chest down to make your legs float. 

At this point I am basically in the 2:00 per 100/yard range and can pretty much swim until I get bored.  No faster and really no slow.

Just keep at it.

2007-04-02 12:23 PM

Expert
Chandler, AZ
You can totally do a sprint distance swim by December! Just stay consistent, and you will get there!

The Total Immersion is great, and the lessons will really help. Work on your form first, and then worry about speed and distance. If you master those basic form drills, it will make swimming a lot easier for you.
2007-04-02 12:25 PM

"I had my first swim yesterday. And I have come to the realization that I have no earthly idea how I am ever going to complete a sprint distance swim."

Yeah, um, about 90% of us said that the first time out of the water. It just takes some work. Don't get discouraged. I did some TI stuff, but I went from 50 meters in October to now I can do about 3000 in one setting without it tiring me out much more than a very light jog would.

2007-04-02 12:32 PM

2007-04-02 12:34 PM
in reply to: #745664

Champion
Sarasota, FL
kproudfoot - 2007-04-02 1:23 PM

I agree with TI, but I would get the DVD. I have the book and it is really had to understand.  I used it briefly and it did help  but unless you can see the drill performed it is difficult. 

I agree.  I really like the TI program, but it's really hard to visualize how to do some of the drills just from the descriptions and line drawings in the book.  Once I saw the DVD, I realized I had been doing some of them incorrectly.

The thing that really helped me was getting some coaching from the members of the local masters team.  Learning to maintain a good head position and keeping a high elbow position have been most beneficial for me.

Mark

2007-04-02 12:34 PM

Time in the pool will help. I agree with 3x per week. You will start making progress quickly. I am a TI fan too.
2007-04-02 1:13 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I kid you not when I say that not too long ago that I couldn't swim 50 meters without stopping.  I hit the did not drown box after every swim session and especially at races.

I had a sprint triathlon that was 400 meters.  I swam to the turnaround and had to walk back.  Luckily it was in a shallow lake.  So I know where you are right now.  Take some lessons and practice.  If you can find a Masters swim practice, do it.  They have a variety of lanes from slow to fast.  I started out in the whirlpool and am now in the fast lane.

So stick with it and you'll do great.  don't get discouraged!!

2007-04-02 1:23 PM

Elite
the desert
Time in the pool. As a former swimmer, I am suprised at how difficult it is to get back. Don't let this scare you though. With time and training, you'll be able to complete the swim. Like the other legs, you'll get faster with the more time spent developing your speed and technique.

For your first, don't woryy about the time - - -the records will be safe. Your goal is to complete the race.

Good luck!

2007-04-02 2:50 PM

2007-04-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: #745997

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
whalers34 - 2007-04-02 3:50 PM

I have one silly question too...some people have mentioned "Masters" classes.  What does that entail?  I thought you had to be a good swimming to be in those types of classes (hence the name "masters".

The name is quite the misnomer (sp).  Masters swim practice is basically a bunch of people swimming with a coach on the deck telling you what to do.  There are lanes ranging from slow to fish.  It's a great group workout.

2007-04-02 2:59 PM

2007-04-02 3:01 PM
in reply to: #745997

Champion
Butler
whalers34 - 2007-04-02 2:50 PM

I have one silly question too...some people have mentioned "Masters" classes.  What does that entail?  I thought you had to be a good swimming to be in those types of classes (hence the name "masters". I believe masters just means 18 years old and up.  If you want to pay their dues you can swim with them.

2007-04-02 6:40 PM

Similar to the other posts, I was in the same boat as you when I first started. I even DNF'd my first sprint. However, I was able to go from Sprint to Olympic to HIM in the same season and I am not an accomplished athlete.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be this: the swim is the one discipline where having a coach during the beginner phase will work wonders for you (Of course, you can get coaching for bike and run but I would focus on the swim as a beginner).

I equate it to golf: sure you can teach yourself a swing that will get you going but you will develop nasty little habits that you will have to unwind if you want to be proficient and it is really hard to tell you are making them unless someone is watching you or taping you. I realize not everyone has the resources to do this but, a few individual swim sessions (or two-on-one if you can find a partner) with a local coach will get you thinking about the correct stroke mechanics. From there, the masters programs and your individual sessions will get you to the first 500 continuous yards (and beyond). If the sprint is not in a pool, you'll want to find a local open water practice swim if possible. That way you can get used to the open water feeling before race day. Good luck!

2007-04-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: #745687

Expert
New Orleans, LA
RedCorvette - 2007-04-02 12:34 PM
kproudfoot - 2007-04-02 1:23 PM

I agree.  I really like the TI program, but it's really hard to visualize how to do some of the drills just from the descriptions and line drawings in the book.  Once I saw the DVD, I realized I had been doing some of them incorrectly.

The thing that really helped me was getting some coaching from the members of the local masters team.  Learning to maintain a good head position and keeping a high elbow position have been most beneficial for me.

Mark

Oops I meant the DVD - guess it didn't sound like that though. - I only bought the DVD and I found that it worked fine.

2007-04-03 1:50 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA
I haven't wanted to jinx myself by posting how much I've improved, but since I'm responding to you, it doesn't count

The first time I got in the water to train for my first mini-sprint (400yd swim) two years ago, I could barely get out one length in freestyle. I timed myself and I was faster in breaststroke, so for the sake of not drowning, I went with that.

That first open water swim, I drank half the lake and was pretty convinced I wasn't going to finish. But I got to the shore with a combo of breaststroke/doggie paddle/backstroke/sidestroke. Two tri's later, I breaststroked the whole way, which was a pretty major accomplishment considering I had barely trained.

This year I've actually committed myself to training, swimming two days a week. I started out doing 200's breaststroke, and added a length of free every week. I'm up to 150yds free now, and climbing. I'm also getting MUCH faster week to week (largely just from adding more free).

I'm still not fast, my form would probably make some people cringe, and I'm sure I'll still freak out in open water in June. But my point is that you CAN do it with just persistence. I've heard a lot of great things about TI and Master's classes (the name intimidates me too), but if you're strapped for cash and/or not looking to stand on a podium anytime soon, read all threads here about swimming, pay attention to the way your stroke feels through the water (does it feel efficient?), and just swim. A lot.

And remember, that most triathletes have trouble with swimming, esp in the beginning. That first float to the finish, there were still quite a few bodies behind me! You'll do just fine.
2007-04-04 10:40 AM

Expert
Earth

Swimming is tough, but you can learn it.  Check out the TI page, they have some free video feeds that are pretty good.  When you go to the pool, talk to someone that you see swimming.  If they are pretty fast, ask them to watch your stroke and give you some pointers.  Much of the stroke is hard to self correct, how it feels maybe right to you but totally wrong for effective swimming. 

The other thing to remember is this, at the start of EVERY RACE relaxe swim YOUR race, swim like YOU planned to race.  Don't get sucked into the start hard, swim fast and hard at the start.  If you do 200 yards into the swim, you will be laying on your back wondering how the heck you are going to finish doing back/breast/side/doggie/ducky and any othe stroke you can invent.  You want to get out of the water and feel like you want to bike, not feel like you want to DIE.

2007-04-04 12:16 PM

Regular
Indiana
I am in the same situation also. I started swimming just three weeks ago. My first attempt in a 25 meter pool was overwheliming. Just able to do 25 meters then a 30 sec break, 25 meters and a 30s break. I am also taking sa class at the Y. I am swimming 3x per week and just trying to increase each week. I have just received my TI DVD but have not watched it yet. Patience and consistency is what it takes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie swim question Rss Feed