General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » hello hello hello.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-02 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
Now: Tempe, AZ Home town: Chi town
Subject: hello hello hello....
Hello everybody,

I've been on here for quite awhile now. Posted some random questions and such but never introduced myself. A little background; I did an indoor tri way back in high school, I did well on the swim and bike but just got spanked in the run. Ever since then I've always wanted to get into the sport. Now I have been running (I'll probably never be a runner) and looking for a road/tri bike and hopefully I'll get training and do my first real tri soon.

This is a great site!

Derek

2007-04-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: #746075

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: hello hello hello....
Nice to meet you!  There's always room for one more and FWIW, a LOT of us don't think of ourselves as "runners"
2007-04-03 9:43 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

I didin't used to think of myself as a runner, and I still don't.  But I'm about 33% runner at least. It used to be my worst event by far, and now help from folks here and ChiRunning, it's my second best event.

Make sure you do a race report once you race your first tri!

2007-04-03 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
Yea, running has always been my weakness. My friend and I are thinking of doing a sprint or an int/oly tri on cinco de mayo down in rocky point.
I will definitely do a race report after my first race.
2007-04-03 2:15 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Running has always been the bane of my existence, so now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon. Why? 'Cause once I'm done with 13.1, a 5K at the end of a sprint will be cake.
2007-04-03 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
I did the half marathon and it was painful but I finished. I am thinking the same, a 5k should not be as hard although it will be after a swim and the bike. We shall see, I'll have to experince a sprint tri and see how difficult it really is.

2007-04-03 2:49 PM
in reply to: #747523

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hope you can get everything worked out with your bike. Any luck with that? I thought it was a bit hard to get used to a road bike at first (forget aero bars! drop bars were scary enough!). But then i'm not much of a daredevil.

You will probably want to try a couple bricks too, if you havent' already. Fun to put the brick into the running.

I talked to a girl Sun who checked out the Rocky Pt tri course recently. (She's the one who hit the stray dog down there last time.) She said the resort where they're having teh tri is really nice. She said the bike had a few small hills, but nothing too bad. And she said the run looked really nice, since it's running along a golf course.
2007-04-03 2:54 PM
in reply to: #747545

User image

Regular
robin314159 - 2007-04-03 1:49 PM

Hope you can get everything worked out with your bike. Any luck with that? I thought it was a bit hard to get used to a road bike at first (forget aero bars! drop bars were scary enough!). But then i'm not much of a daredevil.

You will probably want to try a couple bricks too, if you havent' already. Fun to put the brick into the running.

I talked to a girl Sun who checked out the Rocky Pt tri course recently. (She's the one who hit the stray dog down there last time.) She said the resort where they're having teh tri is really nice. She said the bike had a few small hills, but nothing too bad. And she said the run looked really nice, since it's running along a golf course.

Sweet, I am really thinking about doing it now. I just checked out some of the pictures online and they look really nice. I am torn between two bikes right now, the cervelo dual and the trek madonne 5.2, the cervelo is the tri bike and the trek is the road and for my first bike not sure which one would be better. The trek is a bit more expensive but many seem to like the trek a lot. I am not sure what to do, I am really eager to get my bike to start hitting the roads.
2007-04-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: #747555

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Have you ridden a road bike? Have you ever ridden in aero position before? Are you real quick to pick up that kind of thing? I think aero is a bit difficult, requires more balance, etc. Will your LBS let you test out of the bikes? That might be the best bet. See if they won't let you ride in a circle in the parking lot... and then determine which one feels best. I know Landis on 7th Ave and Indian School let me ride my bike before I got it.

Also, what are your goals? If you are just going to do triathlons, i suppose a tri bike might be better. Road bikes are safer for riding in traffic, and ultimately the world of cycling doesn't endorse tri bikes... (I think). So if you think doing centuries and double centuries and more cycling events sound fun, you might want to go with a road bike.

You could also get a lower end road bike now, and as you learn more about cycling, upgrade to the tri bike of your dreams...

2 cents.
2007-04-03 3:11 PM
in reply to: #747574

User image

Regular
robin314159 - 2007-04-03 2:05 PM

Have you ridden a road bike? Have you ever ridden in aero position before? Are you real quick to pick up that kind of thing? I think aero is a bit difficult, requires more balance, etc. Will your LBS let you test out of the bikes? That might be the best bet. See if they won't let you ride in a circle in the parking lot... and then determine which one feels best. I know Landis on 7th Ave and Indian School let me ride my bike before I got it.

Also, what are your goals? If you are just going to do triathlons, i suppose a tri bike might be better. Road bikes are safer for riding in traffic, and ultimately the world of cycling doesn't endorse tri bikes... (I think). So if you think doing centuries and double centuries and more cycling events sound fun, you might want to go with a road bike.

You could also get a lower end road bike now, and as you learn more about cycling, upgrade to the tri bike of your dreams...

2 cents.

My main goal is to do triathlons and one day IM. I've been to landis (they are the one with that trek) and TRIBE (they are the one with the cervelo) I am fairly quick in picking up new things but cant be sure since I've never ridden in an aero position. Century rides and such really doesn't interest me as much so I am undecided to road and tri bike. Everyone seems to suggest getting a road bike since they are more versatile and some are saying if you are only interested in doing tri's then get a tri bike and dont waste time and money. I eventually want to get both to have that option but for now I need to pick one.
2007-04-03 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Then go to Tribe. Kevin, the owner, is pretty cool, and also ought to be able to give you good advice on buying / learning to ride a Cervelo as a first bike. They ought to let you try riding in some circles. Also, have you ridden with clipless pedals, or are you going to use cages on the Cervelo? (Bike shoes, etc, add up $$.) That's another thing to test out. But Kevin can probably help you out, if that's what you want to do. You will just want maximum time to practice with your new bike, if you plan on doing Rocky Pt.

Most important is that you like the bike, and can ride it, right? If you like it, feel like it's a good fit, etc, go with that. But if the aero bit seems like a bit much to bite off, starting out - go with the Trek.

2007-04-03 3:56 PM
in reply to: #747609

User image

Regular
robin314159 - 2007-04-03 2:25 PM

Then go to Tribe. Kevin, the owner, is pretty cool, and also ought to be able to give you good advice on buying / learning to ride a Cervelo as a first bike. They ought to let you try riding in some circles. Also, have you ridden with clipless pedals, or are you going to use cages on the Cervelo? (Bike shoes, etc, add up $$.) That's another thing to test out. But Kevin can probably help you out, if that's what you want to do. You will just want maximum time to practice with your new bike, if you plan on doing Rocky Pt.

Most important is that you like the bike, and can ride it, right? If you like it, feel like it's a good fit, etc, go with that. But if the aero bit seems like a bit much to bite off, starting out - go with the Trek.

Yea, I'm gonna go and visit kevin and see if he can steer me in the right direction. I am definitely going with clipless pedals, thats what I ride on my mtn bike and they're awesome. I'll keep you posted on my quest to find a bike adventure.

What are you riding now? Did you get a tri bike frist or road?
2007-04-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: #747681

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
kinezo - 2007-04-03 1:56 PM

What are you riding now? Did you get a tri bike frist or road?

I'm riding a road bike still, and a low-end Trek at that, with aero bars. I'm not a good person to ask. My goals were probably different from yours. I never planned on going as far as I have, and I also make it a poitn to spend as little as possible on this stuff. I decided if I start another season after this I'll upgrade -but probably just to a nicer road bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » hello hello hello.... Rss Feed