General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike training on stationary bike......useless? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-03 11:27 AM

Subject: Bike training on stationary bike......useless?
Hey guys, well I don't have a bike for my bike training and over the last couple weeks I have just been riding a stationary bike. Seems like I'm just going through the motions and I don't know if I'm wasting my time pedaling there for over an hour. Resistance I guess is a problem as well. What do you guys think? Hopefully I will be able to afford a bike within the next couple months but having to pay for school it makes it kind of hard. Thanks guys.

2007-04-03 11:33 AM
in reply to: #747120

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Bike training on stationary bike......useless?

I have done training on a stationary bike, as well as on a spin bike.  If it's your only option, it's still better than nothing, and you can make it work for you.  Can you adjust the resistance so that it's harder and and easier to pedal while you're riding?

I can't stand just pedaling on a stationary/spin bike.  So, I always make them a kind of interval workout.  I'll get on and warm up for about 5 minutes at a relatively easy effort, and then start working on "hills" -- increasing the resistance for several minutes and then backing off for a short recovery period.

The only problem with stationary/spin bikes is that it's not exactly like riding a real bike outside, so you're not getting any benefit to your bike handling skills, and the setup isn't the same, so your form isn't going to be perfect.  But you can still get the cardio benefit, and work on building strength.

2007-04-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: #747126

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

madkat - 2007-04-03 12:33 PM If it's your only option, it's still better than nothing, and you can make it work for you. 

Exactly.  You do what you can with the resources available.

2007-04-03 11:42 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Last winter I didn't have a trainer set up and I was not familiar with spin bikes.  I did the vast majority of my bike training on a stationary bike at the gym.  I worked up a great sweat and I know it helped with my general fitness and maybe contributed to my cycling base, but after 5 months of that I felt like I was not any faster out on the open road.  I do feel like I get a much more cycling specific workout from the spin bikes and my trainer.  Still not like the real thing, but closer.

LIke the others have said, if it is your only option then get to it.  And good for you to be willing to work with what you have.  Too many people would just quit thinking "I can't do it if I don't have the right equipment.  Oh well." 

2007-04-03 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that in some circumstances, it is better than the real thing.

1. if you are HR training, you can be more exact in your HR because you don't have to deal with hills, stop signs, dogs chasing you, and planes landing on the road you are trying to ride down.

2. There is no coasting so no resting. SUCK IT UP BETTERCUP!!!

3. You can do drills that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do. Try doing one-legged drills on the road...when you do, let me know so I can get there with my video camera - definitely first prize on AFV!

4. Focus on form.

I would MUCH rather be out on the road, but stationary/trainer rides can be valuable if used properly. You just need to remain focused on what you are doing. If the TV gets distracting, turn it off and FOCUS.

Good luck.
2007-04-03 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Better than nothing but not the same thing in my opinion.  Over the winter I did not ride much and did a du in January having not ridden my actual bike all winter only doing spin and the race stunk. 

2007-04-03 12:36 PM
in reply to: #747183

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I trained quite a bit on the stationary bike this winter, partly due to hating the trainer and partly to train for an indoor triathlon. I found when I got on my bike this Spring I was way ahead from last year. I agree with what the other poster said about drills, etc.

I wanted to add that you might be able to find a very cheap bike to make do with until you're able to buy what you want. My husband and I have picked up a LOT of bikes on Craigslist and at Salvation Army/Goodwill kinds of places. Those old 10-speeds are fine to start with and you can get used to the road bike position. I started on a Raleigh 10-speed that was about my age and loved it! I think we paid $50 for it.
2007-04-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #747165

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

I agree with D.Z.  about the drills.   I'm also slightly biased since I happen to be an indoor cycling instructor  .

Nothing can replace time spent on the road or replicate it exactly, but it's been my experience that spin bikes allow for drill based training that can and does translate into ability/endurance on the road.  Obviously much of this is dependent on the types of drills you do and the amount of load with which you spin.  There is a difference between spin bikes and general fitness stationary bikes, so if you have the option, use the spin bike.  Most gyms will allow you to go into the cycling room to use a bike when classes are not in session.  

If you decide to take a spin class, choose an instructor carefully.  Some instructors are primarily aerobics teachers who took a class to get an indoor cycling certification and might have more of an "aerobics party on the bike" class.  Other instructors are outdoor cyclists (often triathletes) whose approach is to simulate a road ride for the duration of the class, and some even use HR zone training as the basis of their cues.  Both styles of teaching are fine in terms of a group fitness experience... but as a triathlete, the latter is obviously a better fit for your training. 

[

2007-04-03 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
I travel a lot and frequently use a stationary bike at hotels to replace a weekday ride.  I'd much rather use the stationary bike than skip a bike workout.  It's not the same, but better than nothing!
2007-04-03 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)
Nate_21 - 2007-04-03 11:27 AM

Hey guys, well I don't have a bike for my bike training and over the last couple weeks I have just been riding a stationary bike. Seems like I'm just going through the motions and I don't know if I'm wasting my time pedaling there for over an hour. Resistance I guess is a problem as well. What do you guys think? Hopefully I will be able to afford a bike within the next couple months but having to pay for school it makes it kind of hard. Thanks guys.

Invest in a cheap heart rate monitor ($35-50) and do interval cardio work on the stationery. Pick a target average HR you want to maintain during your workout . Start with a 10 minute warmup working on form: knees inward pushing downward in a upside V angle and with heel angled downward. After 10 minutes anytime you fall below your targetted HR stand with your butt as far back as your quads can tolerate and work until your HR goes 10-15 BPM above your targetted HR, working on your breathing and minimal upper body movement. Then sit until your HR falls below your average. Repeat until your target time expires. Whenever you sit work on bike posture. Muscle memory secured indoors translates well when you move outdoors.

I've been spinning seriously for 10 years and am amazed at how few people show up with a HR monitor and just spin for an hour with no goals and no resistance. Some dont even break a sweat... just dont see the point unless they are there to just see or be seen. If I dont average 135 bpm inside I feel like I have wasted my time. But if I consistently average 135 no one beats me on hills once we move outside.

Another thing you can do on the stationery better than you can outside is to remove one foot and spin with one foot trying to maintain a one-footed circle. Alternate feet so both legs get the workout. This should improve your stroke efficiency.

The short answer to your question is that you need to train to a goal. Since you cant do distance on a stationery and just time on the bike is mindless, train to an average HR.
2007-04-03 2:01 PM

User image

, Texas
I did 98% of my bike training for my first tri on a stationary bike. I had no idea what a "spin" bike was. I did get a used road bike about 2 months before the race, but only did a few rides on it. My main problem was that on the bike, I had absolutely no control of my HR. So, instead of training hard all the time, I decided to continue to ride the stationary with the occasional ride on the road bike.

I was very happy with my race performance and don't regret using the stationary one bit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike training on stationary bike......useless? Rss Feed