General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Tri's / Y-Tri's Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-31 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Indoor Tri's / Y-Tri's Question
There are a number of these indoor tri's that took place in NC this year. For example, one has a 10min pool swims, then a 20 min stationary bike, and finally a 20 min run. A weighted distance travelled determines the overall winner. Looking at some of the results, some of these people who are competing are going 10-11 miles on the bike during the 20 min time frame. The fasted bike time was at a pace of 35 mph!!!

Anyone know the rules for this competition and how distance is determined. If its on a stationary bike, can you just pedal as fast as you can with a small resistance to rack up the miles, or is resistance somehow figured into the equation. How about cadence too?

Seems like a good way to find an excuse to tri when the weather outside is nasty regardless. Anyone ever compete in one of these?

2004-08-31 1:20 PM
in reply to: #55723

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Indoor Tri's / Y-Tri's Question

An indoor tri was my very first tri event. I finished last. The stationary bikes were set at a certain setting... you were not allowed to change them, but you COULD change the resistance... I was "spinning" about as fast as I could go, but I was in the wrong gear, (wrong resistance) so I didn't make alot of headway. I think I only went about 5 miles whereas the winner of our race went at least 8-9 miles. I did do very well on the swim, (winning my age group, and placing pretty well overall) but I could have skipped the swim entirely, and still lost the race because the majority of the DISTANCE is covered on the bike and run segments. Who cares if I beat everyone in the pool by 50m when THEY beat me on the bike by a couple of miles and then again on the run by at least a mile...? I don't think ours was a weighted distance...

You need to keep those legs moving on the bike, though... at a reasonable resistance so as to cover ground, not just spin idly. (like I did....)

But I digress. I really enjoyed the indoor tri experience... and it's what got me hooked. Try it... I mean Tri it.. you'll love it!!! LW

2004-08-31 3:40 PM
in reply to: #55729

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Indoor Tri's / Y-Tri's Question
That's very interesting. What about the transitions? How was T1 handled - did they have you run up to the bikes while still dripping wet or was there a slow procession to the bike? I'll bet T2 was more like jump off the bike and head right to the treadmill since most bikes and treadmills are probably in the same general area to one another.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor Tri's / Y-Tri's Question Rss Feed