General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beam bike setup- road or tri for newbie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-05 3:07 AM

New user

Subject: Beam bike setup- road or tri for newbie?
I have a titan flex (beam bike) set up as a comfortable road bike (drop bars etc, no aerobars). Because of the bike design I can easily change it into a tri-geometry if I want to by adjusting the beam/top tube. I do have all the gear to do so -bullhorns, bar end shiftes and split second aerobars so that is not a problem

My two key races are an Olympic distance in July (warmup race) and HIM in September (A race). I do most of my training on my computrainer, bike handling skills are not great. I am still a newbie at the tri scene (one year experience). My goal is just to have fun not worried about time.

Now the big question- what should I do? Unfortunately there are no bike fitters where I live but I have a coach friend who can help me if I decide to change the fit. Should I try and change it all, or stick with the tried and true (even if not very aero) for the HIM?

2007-04-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: #749755

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Beam bike setup- road or tri for newbie?

My thought is you should try the aero setup and give you body time to adjust to the change.  I heard it said once that the longer you go, the more important it is to be aero - a greater energy savings for the run. 

Another thought would be to get as much time outside as possible and work on those handling skills. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beam bike setup- road or tri for newbie? Rss Feed