General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My first post Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-31 9:00 PM

User image

Kitchener, Ontario
Subject: My first post
Hi! My name is Heather and I’m 36 and at an average fitness level.
I was on the track, cross-country and swim teams. (Read-did the work but never really got anywhere).
After marriage, a job and a couple of kids later I felt like I needed to be active again. Actually, my husband started to play hockey again and I thought “if he can do it why can’t I?”
So I started swimming at the local pool one night a week in January and then started with a “Let’s Start Running” group in July. I borrowed my brother’s bike but can’t really say I “trained”.
I completed my first Tri August 15. I did post my race results. It was a Super Sprint but you have to start somewhere right? Why a tri? Because there aren’t any events that have swimming and running only! Please help with biking motivation! I am really not fond of biking. I look outside and say to myself “what a great day for a bike ride” then I go for a RUN!
Thanks for all your support even if you never knew I was around!

Heather

2004-08-31 9:07 PM
in reply to: #55948

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-31 9:52 PM
in reply to: #55951

Kitchener, Ontario
Subject: RE: My first post
I'm really not sure what I dislike the most.
I just don't "feel" good on the bike.
Worrying if I'm in the right gear, traffic, HILLS. I don't feel like I have the leg power to go very far. A friend's husband is a biking freak and I think I'm going have him check out the bike size for me.
There are rolling hills around here and it seems they are much bigger when on the bike than in the car. I have to go past them to get to country roads. The alternative is the city streets that I don;t like either. Maybe I'm just too picky or good at making excuses. I think I need some sort of plan or route to take. I know how far I'm going in the pool, I can't really go too far in a 60min out and back run so I guess it's not knowing where I'm going.
Now I'm rambling but you get an idea where I'm coming from.
2004-08-31 10:06 PM

Champion
Gold member

wow...we feel exactly the same about running and biking...i'll run anyday...i guess thats why as tri season progress it goes from riding the bike 2x per week, then to one...then none...STILL RUNNING THOUGH.

welcome heather.

2004-08-31 10:15 PM
in reply to: #55977

New user

Prattville, AL
Just so you don't feel "out there" by yourself....I know exactly how you feel about the biking.  I'm a little intimidated by it AND the swimming.  My thing has always been that you have to plan more for both of those, as opposed to running where all you need is legs and good shoes and you're good to go.  I just set the amount of time I want to run, run half that time and turn around...most times I don't even have a route, I just run....and you can do it anytime you want, you're not restricted by equipment or pool schedules, etc.  But, here I am, embarking on my 1st tri, minus a good road bike, I assume, because I do not recognize ANY of the brand names I've seen on this site...scared to death, but excited about trying something new that will challenge me.  I thought I was surely in pretty good cardio shape since I run regularly (20-40 mi./wk), until I did my first swim last night and was dying after 6 minutes.  So, good luck with the biking and I'm right there with you!
2004-09-02 6:54 PM

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the the T-Spot!

2004-09-04 11:28 AM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  And good luck in continuing tri'ing!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My first post Rss Feed