General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Taking the plunge Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-01 3:13 PM

User image

New user

Ottawa
Subject: Taking the plunge
Just 2 and a bit days before my first tri (sprint...geez what a misnomer). Got a little bit of the butterflies in the stomach

A bit about myself. Started running less than a year ago (couldn't/wouldn't run for 13 yrs following an army training injury). Most definitely in the Clydesdale category (for now).

Until this year, I had never actually competed in any official races. I began the year with an 80km ice skating marathon in Sweden from Uppsala to Stockholm - finished back of the pack in 7hr and change. Followed up with a 5k run in mid summer (33min...middle pack for that race..have slashed a few minutes off that since then), and now am ending the season with a tri (possibly will follow it up in 2 weeks with another sprint if I don't finish DFL :-) )

Unlike most people, the swim is my strongest skill (I love to swim...don't like seaweed...shudder...but I do like open water), as I was practically raised in the water. I just hope that the bike I bought back when I was in the army will hold up for this foray into the tri-world (I suspect all the carbon crank aero bar age groupers will be tearing past lil'old me on my steel frame hybrid). If I find myself hooked, I will be on the board seeking advice on bikes to replace my old blue beast.

I'll take the run as it comes (one foot in front of the other), and just be happy to finish the whole thing. I will, of course post a race report (and may even have some photos of the 1/2 Ironman that is being run at the same time)

2004-09-01 5:29 PM
in reply to: #56435

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Taking the plunge

Good luck in your race and welcome to the site.

Gary

2004-09-01 10:27 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

good luck on that tri the end of this season...that 7 hour skating...continuous?  they have that much consistent skating ice laid out?  just curious...

welcome.

2004-09-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #56658

User image

New user

Ottawa
Thanks!

Ron - 2004-09-01 10:27 PM

that 7 hour skating...continuous? they have that much consistent skating ice laid out?

Well, there was a food and drink stop at the 50km mark...but otherwise it was a continuous skate (with 2 or 3 land crossings where the ice was too thin) On a good year (one where ice fishermen had not fallen through the ice the night before, you are not skating through a foot of water on top of the ice, you are not skating next to open water at the 42km mark, and there is not blinding snow), it is a continuous skate from just outside the city of Uppsala to central Stockholm (right outside the City Hall, where the Nobel Prize banquet is held).

Map of the route http://www.almgrens.nl/vikingarannet/kaart.htm

I'm going to give it a year and try again in 2006 - hope to seriously cut my time (I had equipment problems leading up the the race, and so 90% of my gear was new and untested).

They skate on lakes, on the Baltic, on canals...anywhere where there is ice...If you are curious about marathon skating, the Stockholm Skate Sailing Club has a website (all in Swedish) with some great pictures of their tour skates (some are over 100km in a day). http://www.sssk.se/medlem/databas/bild/bild-s.asp

2004-09-02 6:41 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the the T-Spot!
2004-09-04 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  Yikes, all that skating would make for some very tired legs (but strong ones!)  good luck training

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Taking the plunge Rss Feed