General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » joining the ranks Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-13 10:31 AM

Subject: joining the ranks
Hi, my name is Greg and I'm getting ready to start training for my first season of triathlons. I've been on a bike as long as I can remember, have a decent background in swimming and just recently ran my first marathon, so it seemed only natural to combine these. I live in Washington DC and I'm planning on competing in 4 or 5 races this year.

Hamba kahle, (go well in Zulu)

Greg

2004-01-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3747

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: joining the ranks
hi Greg,
sounds like you're gonna be a natural. Nice to have you here. Which marathon did you run?
Ellen
2004-01-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3747

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Greg! Glad to have you. Don't be shy with all your cycling experience.
2004-01-14 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3749

I ran the Marathon in the Parks, a small regional in Maryland. It was a great course, very scenic as it is mostly on a trail running through two county park systems. It had a few big hills in the middle and finished with a steady incline for the last two miles. I would definitely recommend it to others.

As for my cycling experience, no racing, but I've put in my share of miles on my mountain bike. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider and prefer fast trails with lots of hills compared to technical trails with lots of log crossings and obstacles. We'll see how this translates into road biking.

One question for everyone. Does anyone have a good weight training program? I have about an hour a week and am more focused on injury prevention than building strength. I've done some reading but there seems to be a wide range of opinions on the types of tri specific exercises one should do.

Hamba kahle (go well in Zulu)

Greg
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » joining the ranks Rss Feed