General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip flexor maybe? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-13 12:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: Hip flexor maybe?

Last Saturday we went on a quick little 7.5 mile bike ride on the canal.  The 3.75 out went pretty quick but the 3.75 back was against a major wind.  We REALLY pushed ourselves against the wind on the way back but I think I may have pushed just a little too hard.  I probably wouldn't have this problem if I would have stretched first.  =/

I think I may have pulled my hip flexor.  I can't really feel it when I'm sitting, standing, or walking around.  But if I take my left leg and try and move it over to my right (like if I'm crossing my legs or putting on socks) I feel a hard, dull pain deep in my left thigh around the hip area that shoots down towards my left knee.  I really only feel it when moving the left leg from side to side... never feel it when moving it front to back.

Any ideas what it is, how long it should/could take to heal and any thing I should be doing to speed recovery?

I've got a Trip to Vegas this weekend and if the pain isn't gone (or getting better) by next week I'll be heading to the doctor to get it checked out... just curious if you guys had some idea of what it might be before I head to the doctor next week.

Thanks,

-Brock 

2007-04-20 1:30 AM
in reply to: #759663

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Hip flexor maybe?
I have this too... and after a trip to the Doctor it turns out it is actually my groin. It's high though, in the crease between my upper thigh and stomach...almost feels like my hip, but it's inside deep. Is that what you're feeling? If so, sounds like you might have what I have... a strained groin.

Let me know and I'll tell you the rest of what the Doc said.

Does it hurt when you lie on your side and tri to raise one leg? How about when you swing your leg over your bike?
2007-04-20 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO

That is exactly it.  High up on the side where the top of your leg meets the side of your stomach but deep inside.  That is where the pain feels like it starts but it shoots down towards my knee if I try and cross my leg or swing my leg over the bike.

What did doc have to say?  It is still next week before I can get in to see mine. 

2007-04-20 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
I found this article here on the site:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Problem is he doesn't really explain the pain... it just says groin pain, so I can't tell if this is the same pain or not, but it's worth looking into.

Also not sure if you're a performance member or not, but we're having a similar conversation there:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Someone else with a similar pain that is apparently a "partial tear with edema involving the right Obturator Externus muscles near it's insertion on the Symphysis Pubis"

Did you get that?

Some links I was given:

Obturator Externus
http://www.answers.com/Obturator%20externus

http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/anatomy/html/pelvis/int...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphysis_Pubis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteitis_pubis

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/stress_fractures_of_the_pubic_r... (hmmm am NOT a girl!)

a picture (worth way more than a thousand words!
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Gray1137.png

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject?id=128#p...

Edited by bubba76819 2007-04-20 10:32 AM
2007-04-20 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO

Interesting read.  Now I've gone from the thoughts of a pulled hip-flexor muscle to visions of hip replacement!!!!  =/

hehe... I gotta get to the doc next week so he can hopefully set my mind at ease. 

2007-04-20 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Let me know what he says...

2007-04-20 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
I also came across this article...it's a woman, but might be of interest to your evaluating doctor.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
2007-04-20 3:23 PM

User image

over a barrier
Hip flexors will generally hurt if you try and lift your leg (think Marching). You might be doing this when you cross your legs.

My hip flexors hurt all the time especially my right...the pain tends to go away after a few days.
2007-04-20 5:01 PM
in reply to: #770494

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO

Hmmm... I don't feel it towards the inside of my thigh/groin area. It feels like it is a deeper located pain.. but it is more towards the outside of the leg.

Let me see if I can highlight it:

I don't know if that is muscle, or a tendon, or what you call it... but from where the pain is and when it hurts... it would almost make sense that whatever is highlighted in pink is hurt/ingured. Cause moving my leg up and down doesn't hurt hardly at all... but when I bend my leg (at the bottom of the pink at the knee) to rotate at the knee and swing the lower half of my leg towards my right leg as if in crossing my legs... at the knee and up at my hip is a decent little pain. Not unbearable... but I almost have to grab my foot and help my leg up if I'm crossing it over. I get pain in the same two spots if I rotate at the knee and swing the lower part of my leg out as well but not as much as swinging it over to my right.

We will see what the doc says.  Whatever it is I hope it heals quick because I was REALLY enjoying my bike rides.  =

Edited by brockb 2007-04-20 5:05 PM
2007-04-20 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
WV
Sounds like it could be one of two things based upon the desription of your ride.  Chances are your leg mechanics were altered due to the head wind.  As a result, you put more stress than usual on the lateral components of the leg.  Your IT band (the fascia running from the outside of the knee up the thigh toward the hip as it attaches into a muscle (Tensor Fascia Lata) or your external rotators (muscles that surround the top of the femur at the hip) may be inflammed.  The external rotators help do just that....externally rotate the leg.   Both conditions are capable of giving a feeling of deep pain.    Ice, gentle stretching, and rest all are good things.  Good Luck. 

Edited by Dr Hammer 2007-04-20 6:44 PM
2007-04-20 6:50 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Well, your diagram is a perfect description of IT band inflammation.

A simple visit to a doctor will enable him/her to do a physical exam and determine what structures are injured. "hip" and "groin" are non-specific terms. For a doctor to tell his patient he doesn't have a hip problem, but a groin problem really isn't helpful at all. The "groin" muscles are involved in movment of the upper leg about the hip joint so they are essentially oen in the same description.

Additionally, you can have a muscle pull, strain, tear, ligament issue, tendon issue, swelling, bursitis, etc, etc.

The common thread in all of the above is inflammaiton and general "rice" therapy is always a good idea.

Keep us updated.

2007-04-20 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO

IT band eh?  hhmmm... never heard of it.  =)  I guess it is important if we have one though.  hehe

Hopefully I can get in to see the doctor next week and see what he says.

Thanks for the info. 

2007-04-21 2:53 AM
in reply to: #770919

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
brockb - 2007-04-20 7:36 PM

IT band eh?  hhmmm... never heard of it.  =)  I guess it is important if we have one though.  hehe

Thanks for the info. 

"Ileotibial Band" It's a very thick piece of tissue that connects your butt bone (ileum) to your lower leg (tibia) and runs on the outside. pain can occur where the band runs over your hip joint or your knee joint as it crosses 2 joints (most muscles & ligaments only cross one).

Seriously, your illustrated diagram is textbook for IT band...Did you get it from a book or did you draw the pink shading and add the arrows yourself? Because seriously...you couldn't draw a better diagram than that!

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-04-21 2:54 AM
2007-04-21 7:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-21 12:37 PM
in reply to: #771086

Veteran
Aurora, CO
AdventureBear - 2007-04-21 12:53 AM
brockb - 2007-04-20 7:36 PM

IT band eh? hhmmm... never heard of it. =) I guess it is important if we have one though. hehe

Thanks for the info.

"Ileotibial Band" It's a very thick piece of tissue that connects your butt bone (ileum) to your lower leg (tibia) and runs on the outside. pain can occur where the band runs over your hip joint or your knee joint as it crosses 2 joints (most muscles & ligaments only cross one). Seriously, your illustrated diagram is textbook for IT band...Did you get it from a book or did you draw the pink shading and add the arrows yourself? Because seriously...you couldn't draw a better diagram than that!

I found the picture of the muscles and then I shaded and marked where it hurt.  I figured it would be easier to show where it hurt instead of just verbally describe.  =

2007-04-21 12:49 PM

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Informative article on ITBS... from a runner's perspective but still enlightening. here

Edited by brockb 2007-04-21 12:50 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip flexor maybe? Rss Feed