General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it lack of motivation, over-reaching, something else, combo? HELP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-13 8:28 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Is it lack of motivation, over-reaching, something else, combo? HELP
Fell sick a few weeks ago cold/flu-like symptoms. Have been feeling better since then, regained strength, body aches gone, etc. Started training again (probably), a day or two too soon but have been feeling.......better every day since then.
The problem is I have not been able to get back on track. I was doing good - even had a swim break thru before getting sick, but since I returned, I can't either get motivated and/or am having lingering effects too subtle to notice?

I read that sometimes you can have underlying symptoms for a few weeks after being sick (even with a common cold, etc.) I've been having a little difficulty breathing but sometimes I suspect I'm either over-heating and/or over-eating(?). Motivation is not as hight anymore and I've been pretty grumpy (having a hard time staying happy around my cheery 2 year old princess). I don't like this at all. Any suggestions experiences, suspicions?

Thanks for any help

2007-04-13 8:34 AM
in reply to: #759789

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Is it lack of motivation, over-reaching, something else, combo? HELP

It'll pass.  Fight through it as best you can.  What you describe sounds as much mental as physical. If it ever gets into the exessive soreness category then of course back off.  Otherwise, sounds like a normal mental challenge post-illness with perhaps some post-illness gunk you gotta work outta your system.  Common.

Of course, this is my opinion based on your post.  Actual results may vary.  Consult actual excperts for details. 

2007-04-13 8:35 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Is it lack of motivation, over-reaching, something else, combo? HELP
We all go through it.  A few weeks ago I was sick then went on vacation and had a heck of a time getting back into it.  Keep at it.  I think a part of it is lingering guilt over the time you've missed.  Forget about it.  It's gone - don't sweat it.  Once you crack through the barrier that's keeping you from being mentally "into it" you may find that the rest did you some good and you're actually a little more energized about it. 
2007-04-13 8:35 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

I think the weather has a lot to do w/ it.  We s/b running in shorts instead I was wearing friggin gloves last night. Hang in there, the first 70 degree day you'll be playing hooky and running a 5k.

Or you can come join me at Harriman tomorrow. Nothing like an arse kickin on the hills to motivate you to back into the saddle. Smile

2007-04-13 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Do your favorite workout. I know you are supposed to work on your weakness, but you need that good feeling.

As far as your breathing, go to your doctor. I know it feels ridiculous for a small nagging ailment, but I went yesterday for breathing problems and I had to explain that I can breath fine just sitting around, but taking a deep breath is difficult and a little painful. To my surprise the doc took me very seriously. Turns out I just have reflux, never in a million years would I have thought that! But the doc had plenty of ideas to check for.

Many people are having allergy issues this year, even people who don't usually have seasonal allergies.

2007-04-13 9:52 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks all. Yeah, I was suspecting something in the air, weather and allergies, etc. too (lots of people around me are still or starting to get sick). I don't have any aches and am happy about that.

Not enough rest and a little more pressure at work lately don't help either.

I'll try pushing thru is for a few days, then make a decision of visiting an MD then. I'm thinking I'm also sick and tired of this "grey" weather. I need some sun and heat already man!! Gotta shake this off.

Thanks again.

2007-04-13 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Whenever I get sick, it takes me a couple of weeks after getting "over" it to really be over it.  I expect that once I start feeling "not sick", I'm still probably only at about 60-70%.  It can take me up to 3-4 weeks to get back to 100%.

Which is why I'm really freaked out about getting sick.

I'd say keep working out, but also make sure you're getting enough sleep.   You body does most of its healing/fighting when you're sleeping, and you don't want to get in the way of any clean-up battles it's fighting to keep you well, right?

2007-04-13 11:24 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yes I think teh weather is a huge factor. In the NE, we were teased with a week or so of what felt like summer, and now snow & rain & clouds are back. This will pass, hopefully in another week or so!
2007-04-13 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, OH
I second DMarkSwan. Do what feels good. If you have a run scheduled but you really really feel like swimming, go swim. Make sure you're still enjoying as many workouts as possible; you don't want to start dreading your training which for me takes even longer to come back from. Still make yourself do some hard workouts though so you don't lose all the hard work you've done. Just accept that some times might be slow or that not all your distances are quite there. Stay aware of how you feel both mentally and physically and on the days things feel good, GO! Then back off a little on the days things don't (injuries and even mentally pushing yourself to far are bad). It'll pass, sometimes it just takes longer than usual; for a lot of us I think this long winter has made it hard to recover and have a positive attitude - so you're not alone!

If it'll make you feel better about it, go see your doc about the breathing. No harm in a little check-up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it lack of motivation, over-reaching, something else, combo? HELP Rss Feed