General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Front Chainring Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-15 4:32 PM

User image

Eynon, PA
Subject: Front Chainring Question
Completed my first sprint-tri last season using a Trek MTB (21 speed). Knew I would be hooked, and purchased a Motobecane Nemesis tri-bike. My wife really loves me.

The smallest front chainring on the MTB has 30 teeth. Although the MTB has a heavy steel frame, and is not very fast on the flat, the small chainring allowed high-cadence hill climbing at a fairly comfortable pace. The tri-bike has a Truvativ 52/39 front chainring set, with Ultegra 10-speed rear sprockets. Although the tri bike kicks butt on the flat, I'm concerned about my slow cadence and high effort going up hills. I must note that I just started bike training this season, and need to get my "bike-legs" back. I also realize I need more time to get used to this new tri machine.

My questions are 1) are my front chainrings appropriate for the terrain I train in (very hilly northeast PA)? 2) does anyone change out front chainring sets to suit a particular event (my first tri this season will be in flat Philadelphia, PA)? 3) if different front chainrings are suggested, what type are recommended?

Thanks in advance.

2007-04-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: #761965

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Front Chainring Question
you could get a triple for the front like whats on your MTB but usually the thing you would change to match your terrain would be your rear cog set (in some circles riding a triple is sortof taboo).  lots of bikes come standard with 11/23 to 12/23 but you can get a cog set that has a sprocket with 25 or even 27 teeth.  then with your chain on the small ring in front you should be able to make enough power to get up your hills.  training in the hills will build strength.  hopefully you have some flat spots to be able to spin at a higher cadence. 
2007-04-15 10:15 PM
in reply to: #761965

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Front Chainring Question
Hills suck but once you get your legs back it probably wont be so bad. As the other poster mentioned, its a lot easier to swap cassettes than it is cranksets. After you get comfortable on your bike and get your "legs" back, if youre still having trouble with hills check out the FSA chainrings. For the big ring you can go as low as a 46 and with the small ring you can run a 38. Bassically its a compact crankset without having to purchase new cranks.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=25&pid=...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Front Chainring Question Rss Feed