General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heavy wheel/tires for training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-16 12:23 PM

User image

Subject: heavy wheel/tires for training?
I'm thinking of getting a tougher and heavier wheelset and tires for training and was wondering if it makes sense to normally train with heavier gear. In addition to saving the beating on lighter more expensive gear, it seems like training with heavy gear and then switching to lighter gear for the tri would contribute to getting that 'good ride' feeling. Of course I wouldn't want to go into a race with gear I've never used, so maybe maybe use the light gear once a week or so on easy rides.

So if I do this what are some good heavy wheelsets/tires?

2007-04-16 2:03 PM
in reply to: #763211

Subject: RE: heavy wheel/tires for training?
I have MAVIC Open Pro rims with Ultegra hubs laced with 32 spokes front and rear with Conti Gatorskins 700X25 tires for my training.

They have worked well for the last season and agin this year.
2007-04-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #763211

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: heavy wheel/tires for training?
Like browncd, I use Mavic Open Pros and have ZERO issues with them. In fact, I've got some Mavic Open 4CDs (one or two generations previous to the Open Pro) that are... 15 years old? Still as true as ever, and no issues.

To the actual question you asked, though... It's not so much heavy in weight, but "heavy" aerodynamically speaking. Go with reliable and bombproof for training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heavy wheel/tires for training? Rss Feed