General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rear disc cover - HELP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-17 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: rear disc cover - HELP

Rear disc cover from wheelbuilder.com came yesterday. Put it on last night without issue, but after installing and then putting the wheel back on the bike, I've got a bit of a problem. (and I'm no bike genius, so if I get my terms confused here, at least try to get the point I am making)

I set the bike up on a stand and pedal up to speed no problem (i wasn't on the bike, I was pedaling by hand). When I stopped pedaling and let the bike coast, the crank would continue to turn with the wheel. My assumption is that the cover (on the drive side) is "grabbing on" to the freehub, turning it as it goes. I can grab the pedals and hold them still, and the bike will coast, but then it is obvious that it's slowing the wheel down, almost acting as a brake.

Unfortunately I can't "see" for sure if this is the case, because the center cutout on the cover is hidden behind the cassette. But it's the only thing I can think of as to why it's happening. If I make the cutout bigger, so that I have a bit of clearance around the freehub, would that solve the problem? Thanks!

Edited: The wheel was ordered specifically to fit the Mavic Aksium that is on the bike. Anyone else ever exeprienced this issue before?

Edited by 3558 2007-04-17 9:18 AM

2007-04-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: #764560

Champion
Subject: RE: rear disc cover - HELP

Sounds like it is grabbing onto the splined section of the freehub.  I would try trimming a TINY amount off the diameter of the cover.  You may have to do trial and error here, trimming, refitting, testing, etc.  Another thing to check is to make sure you don't have any interference when you put the chain on the largest cog.  See if it rubs at all.  The only warning I have is that I'm not familiar with this wheel cover and I'm not speaking from experience here, but I have the same Mavic Ksyrium wheel and I just looked at mine and how much clearance there was between the cassette and the hub itself.

2007-04-17 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

I just installed my first wheel cover last night, too.  As I was installing it, I noticed it was cut pretty close to the freehub, so I adjusted it a few times to make sure the cover was centered. 

I don't have the problem you have, though.  When I coast, I can hear the cover rubbing the (stationary) freehub ever so slightly, but I can't detect that it's slowing the wheel down at all.  When you reinstalled the cassette, did you remember the initial, inner ring? (I only asked becuase I  was about to start screwing the outer cap back on when I saw mine sitting there and had to put it back.

2007-04-17 9:32 AM
in reply to: #764599

User image

Pro
Reston
davidb - 2007-04-17 10:29 AM

I When you reinstalled the cassette, did you remember the initial, inner ring?

Yes, it is on.  In fact, the cutout on the wheel fits perfectly around that ring, which was what made me think might be the problem. 

2007-04-17 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It could be the cassette and not the disc cover. Did your wheel do this at all before the disc? I ran into a similar problem once with a Ksyrium SL rear once. No disc, but the cranks would spin w/ cassette when "coasting" like you describe. It may be you slightly overtightened the cassette lockring or ever so slightly mis-installed it. On the Ksyrium at issue, I re-installed the cassette and bing, no problem thereafter.

Leave the disc on and reinstall the cassette, see what happens.
2007-04-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #764637

User image

Pro
Reston

ChicagoMan65 - 2007-04-17 10:54 AM It could be the cassette and not the disc cover. Did your wheel do this at all before the disc? I ran into a similar problem once with a Ksyrium SL rear once. No disc, but the cranks would spin w/ cassette when "coasting" like you describe. It may be you slightly overtightened the cassette lockring or ever so slightly mis-installed it. On the Ksyrium at issue, I re-installed the cassette and bing, no problem thereafter. Leave the disc on and reinstall the cassette, see what happens.

No problems before the disc (though the bike is only 5 days old).  But I reinstalled, same problem.  TOok the disc off, put cassette on, and it coasts just fine.  Disc back on, same problem.  Sent an email to wheelbuilder for help, I don't want to start cutting anything away if they tell me I am doing something else wrong.  Thanks for the input. 

2007-04-17 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

I got my disc cover from excel multisport - it was uncut, unlike the covers from wheelbuilder. I would expect yours to fit exactly - I'd call them, that's what you paid the extra money to have it fit that wheel.

With mine, I had the same problem when I tried to fit the cover on my shimano R-550 (i think) wheel, which has a very slightly aero rim. I tried forever to get it to fit but no luck. I then put it on my bontrager select box rim and it fit great.

I'd give them a call. 

Also, you know that the two covers aren't the same, right? Each one can only fit on one side of the wheel.

good luck,
tom

2007-04-17 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey 3558!

Give wheelbuilder.com a call. These guys are very approachable and can help you out with your problem. They are one of our team sponsors of our tri team in So California. Don't hesitate! They are a phone call away. They are good people.....they are one of the companies that build wheels for the pro teams that ride the Tour de France. They are pretty cool!

Cyclingmaniac
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rear disc cover - HELP Rss Feed