General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and in need of guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-17 2:37 PM

User image

Royersford, PA
Subject: New and in need of guidance
Hey Everybody! I wanted to start off by saying that I absolutely love this website. Here's a little about me. I'm pretty much in the worst shape of my life...wife, 2 kids, desk job and no exercise. I'm determined to turn things around and one day complete a triathlon.

I've been working out daily at the local YMCA, but could use some guidance with puting together a training program.

As always...feel free to pass along some encouragement, I could use it!

2007-04-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: #765178

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: New and in need of guidance

Welcome to BT!  I would recommend looking at the training programs (click on the "programs" icon at the top of the page) here at BT, as there are some good ones. 

Good luck!

Edited by jcdenton2000 2007-04-17 3:01 PM
2007-04-17 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Hi kweber,

As of about almost 2 months ago I too was in about the worst shape of my life. I was havin a heck of time doing anything at all athletic, so the fact that you're already working out daily is awesome. Check out the "couch to _____" programs here. They're great for starting from scratch. I'm using the couch to 5k program right now...at first I had to drag myself out every day but now I'm gettin so into it (read: addicted) that I'm throwing in some biking and swimming too. So I highly recommend those ones. Whatever you decide, good luck with it! And welcome to BT...lots of great encouragement to be found here!
2007-04-17 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Good for you for taking that first step. It is, after all, the hardest one.

After that, the next hardest part is getting into the habit of working out. Just make the time in your schedule and make it non-negotiable.  Once you are in the habit, eventually you'll find that it takes on a life of it's own.  By that, I mean that you'll start to see workouts as a reward rather than punishment.  You'll want to work out and really miss it when you can't.

2007-04-19 1:45 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Don't do this.. it is extremely addicted and soon you will want more and more and won't even know what your past life was like.

But if you are already starting, start slowly in all three and do not get hurt. I read somewhere that increasing distances by 10% a week is fairly healthy to avoid injuries.

Welcome to BT and Good luck !
2007-04-20 4:58 AM

Extreme Veteran

kweber - 2007-04-17 8:37 PM Hey Everybody! I wanted to start off by saying that I absolutely love this website. Here's a little about me. I'm pretty much in the worst shape of my life...wife, 2 kids, desk job and no exercise. I'm determined to turn things around and one day complete a triathlon. I've been working out daily at the local YMCA, but could use some guidance with puting together a training program. As always...feel free to pass along some encouragement, I could use it!

Hi kweber - I was in exactly the same place as you two years ago.  For us with desk jobs and kids the best place to get fit is in the morning!

The best way to work out a training programme is to have in mind what you are prepared / able to give in terms of time.  Then what you want your goals to be.  The training programme gets you from where you are now to your goals whilst taking into account the constraints of the time you have available.

2007-04-20 1:47 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

1. See a doctor for clearence if necessary.

2. Sign up for a sprint in your area.  Make sure there is enough time for a couch to x plan.

3. Put the program from BT into your logs.

4. Tell everyone you are going to do the race.

5. Follow the training plan and do the race the best you can.

#3 sets you up for success! Let everyone know what you are doing!  Promise your kids and wife you are taking your health sriously and that they can help you train as well. 

Good luck! This site has helped me so much! I hope it is a great resource for you as well.

2007-04-22 8:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-22 9:55 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

The training programs on this site are GREAT, but yeah, it is still important to listen to your body.

Just cause you want to run faster does not mean you should.  Even if backing off means walking - if you do what you can reasonably do - sooner than you think you'll work your way up.  Reasonable progression is the name of the game.

2007-04-23 10:51 AM

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Welcome to BT and your decision to tri! You have taken the first step in changing your life...for the better. There are lots of programs to choose from so you need to look through them and see what is best for you. I second the post that said get medical clearance first.

You have to start somewhere and many of us have started out in a similar position to you. You are going to do great. Take it slow and steady and build a good base so that you don't succomb to injury. Keep asking questions...this site has a wealth of knowledge and great support for those who need it. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and in need of guidance Rss Feed