General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 nutrition help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-19 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: IM 70.3 nutrition help
So Im training for the half, and Ive been winging it on nutrition ever since I started running. I think I need to try and get a little more specific. Anyone have any good advice, articles, or book suggestions on nutrition for the longer events? Thanks

2007-04-19 8:31 AM
in reply to: #768019

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 nutrition help

you don't have to use the hammer products but this link has great info.

http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

2007-04-19 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I am in the same boat as you. I did my 1st HIM a few weeks ago and found my nutrition to be just a bit thin toward the end. Nothing that I felt impacted my performance, but was definitely on fumes coming into the finish.

I read the Hammer Nutrition Guide that everyone here seems to really like. It did have some good info but I was a bit leery of taking nutrition advice from a company that sells nutrition products.

Someone in the nutrition forum recommended a great book that I am reading now and feel like I have a much better understanding of it takes nutrition wise. The book is carefully written and bold (Sometimes contraversial) statements are made with cites to supporting research.

The book is only about $15 US (A real bargain) and is well worth it:

Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean

Note that there is also similar book by the same author that is tailored specifically toward women endurance athletes.
2007-04-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: #768567

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
WaterDog66 - 2007-04-19 12:33 PM I am in the same boat as you. I did my 1st HIM a few weeks ago and found my nutrition to be just a bit thin toward the end. Nothing that I felt impacted my performance, but was definitely on fumes coming into the finish. I read the Hammer Nutrition Guide that everyone here seems to really like. It did have some good info but I was a bit leery of taking nutrition advice from a company that sells nutrition products. Someone in the nutrition forum recommended a great book that I am reading now and feel like I have a much better understanding of it takes nutrition wise. The book is carefully written and bold (Sometimes contraversial) statements are made with cites to supporting research. The book is only about $15 US (A real bargain) and is well worth it: Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean Note that there is also similar book by the same author that is tailored specifically toward women endurance athletes.
You might like or not their products but that doesn’t mean that the info they provide on their guide is not accurate and useful. It should be obvious if you are reading a book about nutrition. Anyway, yes can do a Google search to get more sources about proper nutrition or buy one of the many books out there. But that guide is short and it does a good job explaining the basics. After all, nutrition shouldn’t be that complicated…
2007-04-19 1:15 PM
in reply to: #768579

User image

Elite
New City, New York

amiine - 2007-04-19 1:41 PM . After all, nutrition shouldn’t be that complicated…

Once again Jorge gets a gold star. KISS. Figure it out on your long training rides. Here's what worked for me on my only HIM. I will repeat it 2x this year

Bfast - bagel w/ PB 2-3 hrs b4

cliff bar 45 mins b4 (maybe, depends if my stomach is doing pre-race backflips)

Bike: 

3 scoop bottle of Perpteum on down tube. replaced w/ gatorade at hand up, water in the aero bottle.  alternate gels and uncrustables on the 1/2 hour

Run - some gels as insurance but I ate and drank what what was offered. 1/2 banana & coke. never felt the need for aynthing else and finished feeling fine. 

The uncrustables were trial and error. I needed something besides gels. I know there are healthier things but I cudn't get down a cliff bar and fig newtons and combos were to dry.  

Just a sample for you to ponder. 

2007-04-19 2:03 PM
in reply to: #768579

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I was not suggesting that the info was innacurate

Just that I was a bit suspicious of a company that sells products putting together a nutrition guide.

FWIW: I don't mind Hammer products.

I did find the guide somewhat helpful in explaining some things but did think it would have been a better read if they had cited more references to support their statements.

2007-04-19 2:45 PM

User image

From someone who almost nailed the nutrition on the bike, but blew it big time, on the run, for his first HIM, it's well worth spending the time.  I'd start with a baseline of how many calories you need for your body weight - you may be higher or lower - and start experimenting.  Can't speak to anything referred to in this thread, but I'd stress to work on the run nutrition with the assumption that your body may or will already be calorie deficient.  Or at least with an acnowledgement that you have been exercising for 3-5 hours prior to starting the run.  it's that last little bit that somehow slipped my mind  :^
2007-04-19 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Find out what they are going to have on the course and try to train with that. For example, if they are going to have Gatorade Endurance at the aid stations, use that in your training. If they are going to have Hammer gels, pick some up to try them out. It might happen that you don't care for what will be supplied or it doesn't agree with your stomach in which case you'll want to take yur own gels with you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 nutrition help Rss Feed