General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Front mount child seats for bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-19 4:39 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Front mount child seats for bikes
I'm considering buying one of these http://www.harborcountrybike.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=94055

What is your take on them? I don't see them much but am curious, why. Personally, I think they're a great idea. Below are my ideas of pros & cons on them.

PRO
- Child gets to see the world, not your back....or crack
- Child is sorrounded by you for protection
- Child sits higher = less chance of getting hurt by car? (I'm not sure I convince myself of this one.)
- Child is visible at all times
- Quick to get to child if attention is needed
- Easier on and off bike
- Legs can't reach rear wheel (I actually saw this happen once - poor kid)
- Rear of bike is free for saddle bags if desired
- Visually, it appears the weight is placed in an easier to control place (directly in front and close to chest as opposed to the rear of the bike)

CONS
- Child is the first one to hit the ground if falling forward (I don't know statistics on falling/getting hit)
- More upper body strength is needed (not an issue in my case - just generalizing)
- Higher center of gravity
- Child can pull on cables causing possible crash (some guy in a store that doesn't carry them told me this. I find it a bit unlikely but I don't have the experience)
- Harder to control handlebar (I probably have an average reach so I don't know about this - I'm 6' tall)

This is what I come up with at a quick glance. Care to add or challenge any of them? I'd really like to hear from those that own or used to own one. Would like to hear the good, bad and oogly.

Thanks

Edited by cobannero 2007-04-19 4:39 PM

2007-04-19 4:42 PM
in reply to: #769134

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Front mount child seats for bikes
I saw one of these on a bike just yesterday.  I thought it was an interesting idea, and I like the idea of the little one getting to see more.  Not sure I like the idea of him getting gnats and other flying critters in his face.  I have also been nailed in the face (on more than one occasion) by a rock flipping up from a car tire.  I wouldn't want that to be my sons eye.  Anyways, good luck with your decision.
2007-04-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: #769140

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Front mount child seats for bikes
ryanlc - 2007-04-19 5:42 PM
I saw one of these on a bike just yesterday.  I thought it was an interesting idea, and I like the idea of the little one getting to see more.  Not sure I like the idea of him getting gnats and other flying critters in his face.  I have also been nailed in the face (on more than one occasion) by a rock flipping up from a car tire.  I wouldn't want that to be my sons eye.  Anyways, good luck with your decision.

Should've added (can't remember if it's this model or other but), there is an optional sheild (probably plexiglass type), that can be mounted up front. It's just wide and tall enough to cover the child's face but low enough to stay out of your face.

Thanks for the thought and input.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Front mount child seats for bikes Rss Feed