General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB: rear derailleur Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2007-04-21 10:59 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: WTB: rear derailleur

does anyone have a 9-spd short cage derailleur that's not being used?  Maybe it's out in your garage left over from a build-up project?  I recently changed my bike from a triple crank to a double but the long cage derailluer won't let me into what is probably my favorite gear, the 53X27.

Anyhow, if you have one to sell, give me a shout, and thanks.

2007-04-28 9:19 PM
in reply to: #771211

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: WTB: rear derailleur

Are you sure it is properly adjusted?, the long cage should let you have a wider gear reach than a short. I would bet it is your chain length or your limits on your deraileur.  the large chainring on your triple might have been smaller, and your chain might be just 1 link too short with the new crankset (most triples are a 52, not 53).   At any rate, you should not need a new deraileur to solve this problem.  

Also,  the 53x27 would be cross chaining from the largest front ring, to the largest rear cog.  This is not a good position for your chain to be in and you should consider this gear unuseable.  It will wear your components out faster. You can get the exact same gear ratio going to a 39x20 by using your smaller ring up front and a middle cog in back.   You should still be able to shift into the gear, though, so try and get that fixed

Edited by tkbslc 2007-04-28 9:20 PM
Sell Gear
CLOSED
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB: rear derailleur Rss Feed