General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Spotsylvania, Virginia
United States
Set-Up, Inc
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 34s
Overall Rank = 59/68
Age Group = F 30-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 am to get the gear/bikes in/on the car, grab some breakfast at the hotel and then a 30 minute drive to the race site. I had to pick up my packet race morning and stood in a short line, trying to keep warm.
After setting up transition (Brad and I were on the same rack...YIPPEE!), I stopped off at the bathroom and then wrestled on my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Brad, Laura and I were swimming and Ron and Tim were opting for the duathlon instead (starting with a 5k for them). Brad and I met Laura down on the sand and she had already been in the water once. I rented a full wetsuit and had a neoprene hoody. As soon as my feet hit the 53 degree water, it really sunk in on how cold it was. I slowly walked into the water and could really only get in up to my waist. I actually started crying and saying that I didn't think I could do this. I pulled it together and swam a few strokes. HOLY SHIT...putting my face and hands into the water was AWFUL! I got out and ran to the transition area to grab by GU and banana and on the run up the gravel/grass, my feet felt like ice blocks. I got in the water again before the called everyone to the beach to start the race. Laura and I were in the last wave and we got in one last time before starting the swim. I filled my wetsuit with water to try to get it warm. I must say though that every time I went in, it got better and didn't seem as cold as the first time.
Swim
  • 27m 11s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first 3-4 minutes of the swim was one of the most painful! I felt this searing pain on my face and between my eyes from the cold water. I finally got adjusted to the water and settled into a good pace. As I was walking out of the water after the first loop, my watch read a little over 13 minutes. SWEET! I was a little dizzy/light headed after the first loop and decided I didn't need to run on the beach for the second loop. I felt good on the second loop and my body was used to the water temperature. My navigation and rounding the bouys was spot on. I was able to "dolphin" into the water on the second loop which was fun.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Maybe some sub-artcic swims to get used to the cold water. Or rent a dry suit instead of just a full. :)
Transition 1
  • 05m 35s
Comments:

Run to the transition area was up a slight hill on the sidewalk with some gravel and then eventually onto the grass. Once in the transition area, I ran into some problems getting my wetsuit off. It was stuck on my calves/heels and since my hands and feet were numb, I couldn't get it off easy. After what seemed like forever of wrestling with it, I finally got it off. I dried my arms and put on my arm warmers and a l/s jersey. I then sat down and dried off my feet to put on my socks and shoes (a step I would usually skip, but since the water was so cold, I wanted dry feet). I applied more chamios butter, grabbed my bike and was on my way. There was a short, steep run up a dirt hill to the mount line.

Not sure....my sub-par performance in T1 was mostly due to not being able to feel my hands and feet.
Bike
  • 3h 35m 45s
  • 55 miles
  • 15.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out breathing pretty heavy and after a mile or two, I settled in. The first half of each loop was net downhill and obviously easier. The second half was net uphill and had more headwinds. I ate a GU every :30 and had plently of water and GU2O that I carried. The first loop seemed to take forever! I finally approached the entrance to Lake Anna and was now on the second loop. I slowly started feeling more fatigued and had a headache approaching. I continued to take a GU every :30. At about the 35 mile mark, I was searching for a port-o-potty and continued looking for the next 10 miles or so. I had to pee so badly and was looking for anywhere to go now...it hurt to be in aero. I finally came upon a water stop where there was a minivan and asked if I could pee behind it. The volunteers thought I was crazy, laughed and said I could. Much better! Back on the bike I continuously felt thirsty, regardless of how much I drank. Earlier, I took off my arm warmers and at my pee stop, I took off my l/s jersey and tied it around my waste. The sun was out and it was warm. I think I overestimated how warm it was and didn't drink enough earlier on the bike. My headache was slowly getting worse and I didn't remember to carry tylenol with me or have it in transition area. I made the right turn into the park and was now in the last few miles of the bike. I rode past the runners to the dismount line.

Drink more and drink earlier and carry tylenol.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

There was a short, steep, dirt downhill into the transition area. I had no issues finding my rack or racking my bike. I sprayed myself with sunscreen before heading out on the run.

Nothing...maybe just hustle more. I feel like I took my time
Run
  • 3h 08m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This was one of the most awful, painful runs ever. I came off the bike dehydrated and with a headache. I tried to run the few flats and dowhills and then walk the uphills and it progressed to me walking almost all of the 13.1 miles. I saw Brad on my first lap, his second. We walked together for a little before he started running again. I then saw Laura on her second lap, looking strong as ever! I didn't see Tim at all, and saw Ron once or twice.
I tried to take a GU every :30 and it was more and more difficult to do this. My headache was getting worse and I started feeling nauseous with my stomach feeling sloshy (eventually progressing into a full fledged migrane). I stopped taking the GU (not sure if that helped or hurt) and continued with water and then oranges at the aid stations. The sun was blaring and there wasn't much shade. I carried by water bottle with me and was squirting my head with water to keep cool. At the turn around, my head was screaming, but I knew I was on the last lap. The second run lap was very lonely, hot and painful. I kept switching sides of the road to find the most shade. I made it to the turn around at the end and knew I had less than 5K to go. I tried to walk at a steady pace, but couldn't ever feel painfree. I tried taking off my visor and sunglasses to easy my headache, but the sun was strong and in my eyes. At around the 11 mile mark, I felt dizzy and like I may throw up. I didn't want to stop and sit because I was afraid I wouldn't get up. After a slow mile, I made it to the 12 mile marker and knew I had only a short bit left. I really wanted to break 7 hours, but knew after starting the second loop it would be a stretch because of how I felt. I started running again once I was on a downhill and the lake/finish line was in sight. I saw Brad on my way to the finish and both were such an awesome sight. I crossed the line running, which caught me by surprise.

Hydrate more on the bike and carry tylenol. Looking back, I probably should have continued eating GU. I just wasn't sure if it would have stayed down.
Post race
Warm down:

I couldn't even hug Brad, I felt so awful. I found some shade to sit and take off my shoes before crying because of how much pain I was in. I waded in the cold lake water up to my knees with Brad, Tim and Laura before packing up my transition bag.
For hours after the race, I still had a ripping headache and felt nauseous.
Finally, about 4 hours after the race ended, I felt almost human again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uber headache probably caused by not drinking enough and not having tylenol with me.

Event comments:

The race was one of the most painful. I am glad I did it, but it hurt. I don't think I would do another April HIM again. The course was pretty good...I liked the swim and bike courses, but the run course was pretty boring. There weren't enough aid stations on the bike and there was a serious shortage of port-o-potties in tbe bike course. It may not be fair though...my only other HIM comparison is Eagleman. Overall, it was a well run race with a good swag.

Last updated: 2007-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:11 | 1500 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 23/68
Performance: Good
Suit: Full rented QR
Course: Course was shortened from 1931 meters to 1500 meters. It was a two loop triangular course in Lake Anna. There was a short beach run in between loops.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:35:45 | 55 miles | 15.30 mile/hr
Overall: 45/68
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was two loops around Spotsylvania with a short out and back at the beginning of the first loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:08:30 | 13.1 miles | 14m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 58/68
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was two loops with not much flat....not drastic hills, just no flats. Each loop consisted of one out and back like a "lollipop" and then to a second out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half

2007-04-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #773793

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half
Congratulations on the finish! My uncle used to live in Spotsylvania...not sure where he is now...some govt. agency...

Good luck and good training in '07!
2007-04-23 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job.  You had an awesome swim.  Sorry to hear about the headache.  That would be a killer during a race.
2007-04-23 9:11 PM

Veteran
Oh Kristin....what a rough race for you! I am literally choked up here after reading your report and feeling the pain in your words. Now that it's done, I would say that you earned some BIGTIME mental toughness points for sticking it out and completing, though I wouldn't have blamed you at all for not finishing under those conditions. I am proud of you - I look at what you did before the headache, the swim, and see some incredible strength - something to definitely feel positive about. Time to focus in on better races to come - this was just the kickoff, and it can only get better from here, right? Congrats! ~ Joe
2007-04-23 9:36 PM

Veteran
NoVa

Great job Kristin.

Your race report is nearly identical to what I could write, except mine would have perpetuem and no swimming. The biggest difference is that you had the drive to finish what you started, where I bailed after one miserable run loop. You will go on to complete an IM (again!) in a couple months, while I won't. In hindsight, I should have let you catch me and try to finish the walk with you. Oh, well. Sorry I didn't stick around to see you finish, but I HAD to get home and start getting back to normal. See you at virginia Run.

Edited by Big 2007-04-23 9:37 PM
2007-04-23 10:32 PM

Kristin,

I'm so sorry for your rough raceday...but so impressed that you stuck it out. You're a strong woman and this race is a badge of honor for you.

Reji

2007-04-24 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Way to gut through it. Go through tonight and put tylenol in every bento box, bike bag, and transition bag you own... do you think you were slightly dehydated before you started?? Races like this will only help that pain tolerance for the big ones... well done!
2007-04-24 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
You are as tough as any triathlete out there. Way to gut it out!!! That's a solid bike split on that rolling course. Your bike is definitely improving.
2007-04-24 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
It was great to start a race right next to you. I'm glad I had you there to calm me down at the start of the swim

Despite the condition of your body/headache, you were still able to persevere and complete the race. Your swim and bike were both strong! Congrats on a great finish, once again.
2007-04-24 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Great race, especially since you know you can finish in the worst of conditions!

I think there were alot of us having a tough day out there! April is a hard month for a half IM!

2007-04-24 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Nice job sticking it out. we all have our on days and our off days, but you finished what you started.!!!

2007-04-24 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Congrats on pulling through and finishing! It was a tough day starting in freezing water and ending on hot, unshaded road.

Nice work!

2007-04-25 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Kristin - Great job! Sounds like you had an awful day but you gutted it out and made it to the finish. You are going to rock IM CDA
2007-04-26 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great finish. you've had better runs, but not many more impressive than that one. i don't think half the people out there would go through what you do to finish races. you just never stop.
you are amazing and i'm proud of you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed