General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie to Tri - Diving Into a Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-24 10:34 PM

Subject: Newbie to Tri - Diving Into a Half Ironman
Hello all!

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Larry - an ex-high school athlete (baseball & football) and formerly of the overweight professional variety. New to the triathlon community...

My journey into triathlons started on a whim...

Back in October, a few buddies and I were volunteering at Give Kids the World in Orlando, FL. They mentioned they were expanding and had a few people running the Disney Marathon, taking pledges and donating the money.

My buddy Michael goes, "Shoot, we can do better than that ... we're going to do the Half Ironman." More as a joke than anything. But Nathan and I kind of looked at him and said, yeah, we're in.

Since then, we trained to get ready for a training program (we were that out of shape) and have been on a formal training program since January. We're now less than a month out.

Since October, I've gone from, quite literally, a doggy-paddle to swimming 2000K meters and have dropped from 197 to 172 pounds and have absolutely caught the bug. And best of all, we're doing it for kids with life-threatening illnesses.

I know a lot of you are active in the fundraising community, but I would like to put our story out there. We have a website which has a video documenting it all at www.threemg.com. The three of us (with absolutely zero triathlon experience - the most any of us had done was a 10K) have set a goal to complete the Half Ironman and raise $70K for Give Kids the World, who provide a Wish for these kids with an all-expense paid trip to the Central Florida attractions, giving them some hope and, for many, fulfilling a dream.

The event is the Ford IronMan 70.3 Florida on May 20, 2007. We'll be there and will need any support, comments and prayers that the triathlon community can muster.

Our goal to raise the money is dead serious, no matter how many races it takes. Please visit and watch the video, and if you feel so moved, leave a comment in the tagboard and maybe a donation - we'd love to hear from you.

Larry
www.threemg.com

2007-04-24 11:23 PM
in reply to: #775470

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Newbie to Tri - Diving Into a Half Ironman
I checked out your website and your video.  What an awesome thing you guys are doing!  I know a family who went to Give Kids the World and had such a wonderful time.  Their little boy talked about it non-stop about how great it was and how much he loved it.  I wish I had money to offer, but being the broke student that I am I can't do that right now.  I will however try to pass it on to ppl I know that do have money!    Best wishes and best of luck w/your race!  I'm sure you'll all do awesome! 
2007-04-24 11:42 PM
in reply to: #775498

Subject: RE: Newbie to Tri - Diving Into a Half Ironman
Hi, Lil Turtle -

It's unbelievable, really. The more people we talk to, the deeper and deeper we find the personal stories go. We're going out there tomorrow night for their Give Kids the World Idol event, where the kids perform - it's incredible. It's an absolutely amazing place, and there isn't a soul who could walk in there and not come out feeling touched and inspired.

Thank you very much for your reply. The words of encouragement we have received have helped us get through these last few weeks of training, as the days are definitely long. It really means a lot, to the other guys too (I'll forward the post on to them, or feel free to post at the website on the tagboard on the right).

And, yes, please - if there's anybody you know that has been to GKTW or is familiar with it, or just plain cares, feel free to forward it on. It's such a huge endeavor and we definitely can't do it ourselves. The goal is to make ThreeMG a community event, with everyone who's lent a prayer or a word of support or the price of a cup of coffee for a week or the price of a video game or car payment, to have them all become apart of something much larger than any of us - to take ownership and know they've contributed. And like I said, that's as simple as a word or a prayer - we need all of them!

Thank you again, and God bless...

Larry
www.threemg.com
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie to Tri - Diving Into a Half Ironman Rss Feed