General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to ride? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-27 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: Places to ride?
I did a search in all forums for this. If this has been asked before I'm sorry.

I'm looking for new places to ride in the Seattle area. No where really dangerous (IE 99). Somewhere that has a bit of a challenge for m, but not too hard. Right now I'm riding from Renton into Seattle via Rainier, along Lake Washington Bvld to Leshi then I turn around. I don't mind driving elsewhere with my bike. I have done trails here too. Interurban and Cedar River but they are just getting too easy as they are flat.

Appreciate it.

~Lynne

2007-04-27 5:53 PM
in reply to: #779531

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Places to ride?
One of my favorite rides is around Mercer Island. It is a great route to work on hills. It is around 15 miles.
2007-04-30 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Once you cross over the lake on that I-90 bridge, all sorts of things (from easy to VERY difficult) open up. Newport Way into Issaquah, going up Cougar Mountain, Tiger Mountain, Hobart Issaquah Road, north into Redmond... The possibilities are endless.
2007-05-02 10:36 AM

User image

Seattle
Here's a link to the King County Bike Map. It has information on roads and trails. A great feature of this map is that it gives information on traffic flow. I have made up many many great rides with the help of this map.

Here's the link.
http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/roads/bike/map.cfm

Another source is Cascade Bicycle Club: www.cascade.org . They have free oraganized rides just about everyday for every level of rider.

Or...if you really feel like a challenge...you could go down to the Starbuck's at Leschi on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Many of the the local teams meet there for rides. They may let you jump on with them. It helps if you are comfortable in a paceline. These rides are usually "no wait" rides... which means that if you fall behind, they don't wait. They don't wait for teamates either. Trust me, these rides will make you fast.

Lot's of other people meet at Leschi too. Including the people I ride with. I usually find fellow cyclists to be friendly and willing to ride with new friends. So just start talking to other riders and you will always have a good ride.

Nick

2007-05-02 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Thanks for all the replies! I do have a bike map! I had lost it however so I thought I'd ask here. I really like the sound of Mercer Island!!!

The last time I was around Leschi two guys made fun of my bike. Now I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it did. They were really not nice about it. If they were in the rides you do I probably would feel too bad to tag along. Sad really, I know.

I just joined the Seattle Bicycle club, just to try it. So we'll see how it goes from there.

I'm off to Ocean shores this weekend and I'll be taking my bike! Woop.
2007-05-03 10:04 AM

User image

Seattle
Some cyclists are jerks...but they are few and far between. Don't let the comments of a few knuckleheads ruin your day. Cyclists with bad attitudes don't last long in our group. My friends and I do not tolerate elitist behavior. Cycling is for everyone.

Besides, it's not the bike...it's the engine that drives it. I pass people on better bikes than mine all the time.

If you ever see riders in white and blue Assaggio jerseys, say hello. I ride a white road bike. I promise I am nice.

Nick

2007-05-03 11:25 AM
in reply to: #786950

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
badmoody - 2007-05-02 8:04 PM

Some cyclists are jerks...but they are few and far between. Don't let the comments of a few knuckleheads ruin your day. Cyclists with bad attitudes don't last long in our group. My friends and I do not tolerate elitist behavior. Cycling is for everyone.

Besides, it's not the bike...it's the engine that drives it. I pass people on better bikes than mine all the time.

If you ever see riders in white and blue Assaggio jerseys, say hello. I ride a white road bike. I promise I am nice.

Nick

I totally agree. They were just so prrth about it, if you know what I mean. I was gobsmacked when I heard them. They didn't actually know it was my bike as I was sitting sipping on a coffee and it was chained nearby. Pants to them I say! My road bike is also blue and white but my jersey is red and black. Oh what a match.

Edited by ScotinSeattle 2007-05-03 11:27 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to ride? Rss Feed