General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim geek out-first tri of the season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-30 8:32 AM

User image

chattanooga
Subject: Open water swim geek out-first tri of the season
I don't know what happened to me. I totally geeked out on the swim yesterday-600 meter open water swim, first time with a wetsuit (Time was 15:58). I had gotten a wetsuit the day before and tried it out at the lake where the triathlon was held. I didn't do any long yardage in it, but tried to get the feel of it and I felt fine. Arrived at the race site, wasn't too anxious. But then at the swim start-I was in the last wave (women, beginners, relay people) I just got so nervous, couldn't concentrate on form, felt like quitting before the first turn (rectangle shaped swim course). I floated on my back some, sidestroked. I kept getting off course and zig-zagged like crazy. I am very upset with myself-I had been working on my swimming very hard this last year, and I should have been ready. What can I do now? I want to do more ows tri's but my performance yesterday was so bad.

2007-04-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: #781103

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Open water swim geek out-first tri of the season

Don't worry about it. Go ahead and do another (and then another and then another).

I came to triathlon from an athletic background that included swimming competitively as a kid. I'm a good, strong swimmer. In a pool. With lane lines and walls. It took me my first year plus of doing triathlons to get comfortable with open water swimming. I still have my moments, especially at the start of the race (why is that buoy soooo far away?). First, I try to get in the water before the race. Swim a few strokes. Just float and get comfortable in the water. Feel my buoyancy. Feel the water's motion and pull. Then, for the start, I try to stay out of the melee. I make my way back into the crowd when I'm ready. If I start to lose my mind, I take a few breast strokes (mindful of people around me so I don't kick anyone...but usually at that point, they're all in front of me). Then, I switch to 5 pulls of freestyle. Back to breastroke for 2 or 3 strokes. Then, 10 pulls of freestyle. I keep doing this until it's just freestyle. I focus on counting and breathing (I exhale "loudly" into the water...remember blowing bubbles in swimming lessons?). Then, I just count, sight, and keep going. It really helps me get my mind off my panic/nervousness and find my rhythm.

(Note: For me, anyway, practicing OWS makes no difference in my comfort level at the beginning of a race. But, if you can, I do recommend it.)

Don't dwell on past performance. Just keep moving forward. It will come. And believe me when I say, you are not alone. The OWS is an issue for a lot of us.

2007-04-30 9:18 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Yup, do more races.  Nothing can simulate ows in the race environment. It took me years to get comfortable.  More ows will help w/ your confidence but really you just need to keep racing.

fwiw, I still get anxious waiting for the gun to off. Sometimes I even have to stop, relax and start over (maybe even more than once). Eventually I'm able to get mt face in the water and go.  Nerves are tough thing to deal w/ sometimes. 

Keep at it , you get it!

2007-04-30 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Sounds like my first OWS. Zig Zagged all over the stinkin place but finished. Cure: Race more. You will do better next time!
2007-04-30 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

aemmom - 2007-04-30 6:32 AM I don't know what happened to me. I totally geeked out on the swim yesterday-600 meter open water swim, first time with a wetsuit (Time was 15:58). I had gotten a wetsuit the day before and tried it out at the lake where the triathlon was held. I didn't do any long yardage in it, but tried to get the feel of it and I felt fine. Arrived at the race site, wasn't too anxious. But then at the swim start-I was in the last wave (women, beginners, relay people) I just got so nervous, couldn't concentrate on form, felt like quitting before the first turn (rectangle shaped swim course). I floated on my back some, sidestroked. I kept getting off course and zig-zagged like crazy. I am very upset with myself-I had been working on my swimming very hard this last year, and I should have been ready. What can I do now? I want to do more ows tri's but my performance yesterday was so bad.

Awww... cut yourself some slack.    Race swimming is so much different from regular swimming, OW or otherwise.  The energy, the pressure, the excitement, the masses of other people, etc.   Just like running outside is different than running in a race setting.

EVERY. SINGLE. RACE. I ask myself, "WHY am I doing this?!"  Yes, the first buoy is soooo far away.  But then, so is the next buoy, and the next.  And I swear that there is some kind of space/time warp between the last buoy and the shore.  Every time I sight, it feels like it's not getting any closer at all. 

As for tracking and zigzagging, was there any kind of current?  Or was it just you?  I ask because I'm a classic zigzagger.  What helps me is to sight every 3rd breath, which will keep me from getting too far off course. 

And if you can get a couple of OWS sessions in over the next couple of weeks, that would be a great help.  I have a swim lagoon near me that's open during the summer (I'm anxiously awaiting its opening) and swimming there once or twice a week really helped me feel more comfortable in the water and in my wetsuit.

2007-04-30 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Don't let it get in your head.

I have been racing for 2 years... and I LOVE OWSing. LOVE IT! I never have any issue with sighting, panic attacks, etc.

Well, at my first race 2 weeks back... it was my first OWS with a wetsuit. It was horrible. I felt like I couldn't breathe the whole time. I was so miserable. My sighting was off, and it was just a horrible swim. I have never felt panic like that in OW before. Oddly, I came out first in my AG, but still.

For me the wetsuit did me in. I might have to do another OW in a wetsuit at the end of May. I keep telling myself it won't be that bad.

Keep training and keep racing!

2007-04-30 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
You are not alone. I had my first OWS practice last week and had a similar experience. I'm hoping that I get better before 12 May (first tri)... but I think I'll have the same experience as you. All we can do is suck it up and drive on.
2007-04-30 11:03 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Oh, nonononono. A "geek-out" is when you spend hours transferring GPS data from your Garmin to your laptop or meticulously fashion a spreadsheet with your power curve data from your power meter in order to better understand your pedal stroke on variable road conditions. A "FREAK-out" is when you have a bad OWS, and everybody does those.

I was just thinking today about my first race last year. I did side stroke, backstroke, doggy paddle, everything but freestyle because I didn't want to put my head back in the water after my freakout. Surprisingly, since it was a sprint, my time wasn't disastrously bad. But it was a total freak out.

Edited by stupidnickname 2007-04-30 11:04 AM
2007-04-30 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I think your experience is a pretty normal one.  I've put in a lot of yardage over the past few months and felt really confident going into the ocean swim 2 weeks ago, but when I first started out I literally had to remind myself that I actually knew how to swim!  Swimming in open water is just so different (to me) than swimming in a pool.  It sounds like the consensus is that the only thing that cures this is more practice in the open water.  Hang in there!   
2007-04-30 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

I have read more than 1 post saying more or less the same thing.  Freaked out in the swim.

I think the cure is hang back at the start, don't push too hard.  Plan your race to do just that, knowing that once you get comfortable in the water you can make up whatever time you need to.  Verses blowing up at the start and killing you overall time from a horrible swim.

I raced one race last year with a wetsuit, and I am doing that same race this year.  I am planning on doing better this year, and with all the swimming I have done expect to make it happen.  But even with that, I am planning on holding back at the start, going out easy and then picking it up as I go along.  I just do not want to die like I did last year.  I am planning on doing a longer warm up, and making a point of doing that hard enough to keep me from going out too hard.

You can do it, just don't allow this one event to haunt you.

2007-04-30 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Your swim times aren't bad! Isn't it funny that no matter how much we practice, race day is still crazy? Keep at it. You can do this. And, btw, you totally made up for your "slow" swim times with your run pace. 8:40 min./mile is absolutely awesome!

2007-04-30 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
At least you finished. In my very first tri last August I made it about a hundred yards and completley lost it...had to get pulled out of the water because I freaked out so badly. I'm actually looking forward to my second tri on May 19...should be interesting but It will be in a wetsuit in which I'm very comfortable with. Without it I'm still horrified but I'm not giving up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim geek out-first tri of the season Rss Feed