Cherry Creek Sneak
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 30s
Overall Rank = 787/4472
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 45/414
Pre-race routine:

Had my usual wheat bagel with p'nut butter and coffee.
Event warmup:

My hubby and I jogged the 5k with my sister-in-law. We kept her jogging the whole race and she didn't stop and walk (pretty good for a flatlander!). Kept my HR around 140 and didn't break a sweat until the last .1 when she decided to sprint! Time 33:42.
Run
  • 42m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

It was getting warm outside by 9:15 when the race started. I was going to run with my hubby and his friend but we quickly lost each other in the mob when the race started. Spent the first mile trying to get some breathing room and not trip over people. Had a good second mile. I thought my hubby and his friend were in front of me but then saw them when we turned a corner around mile 4 as I was heading in and they were a ways behind me. I tried to keep my HR around the low 170s which felt about as fast I thought I could go. Finished feeling like I pushed myself but not to the point I was going to get sick (like one of the guys around me). After the race I told my husband I achieved my goal of beating him (for the first time) but he reminded me that it wasn't a fair race b/c he didn't know that I was trying to beat him. Maybe next time I'll tell him :)
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was hoping to run the race at an 8:30 mph avg. and was surprised that I came in right at that time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked straight to the beer garden. Tried a new beer...Amber Ultra, not bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs.

Event comments:

This was a very fun, well organized race with tons of volunteers, entertainment (loved the bands along the run) and plenty of water and snacks. Saw Billy O and all his buds. Always fun to visit them.

Last updated: 2007-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:30 | 05 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/414
Overall: 787/4472
Performance: Good
Mile 1. 8:40 (HR 159) Mile 2. 8:06 (HR 169) Mile 3. 8:28 (HR 171) Mile 4. 8:34 (HR 172) Mile 5. 8:25 (HR 174)
Course: Flat course around Cherry Creek shopping district.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes